5.9 rebuild !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fyr&Resq91

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999&2008
Engine
5.9&5.7
Hey fellas , been a while since I've been here . I used to have another user name I don't member it anymore . Anyways cut to the chase . I have a 99 ram 1500 2wd with the 360 I hit a deer did quite a bit of damage so I was offered a hell of a deal couldn't pass up a 98 1500 4wd with the 360 rust free body straight with 152k on the truck everything worked just needed a water pump so here's what happened I replaced the water pump no problems drove for 2 days day one was great no problems and was getting absolutly unbelievable MPG well day two morning was great the after noon not so much I was driving home when it started to over heat it got to about 230 I went to shut it off and found out the truck was already off got to a start popped the hood blah blah blah it started up and ran very rough thought it was misfiring got it towed home had a buddy that has a diagnostic comp no mis fire all systems checked okay . Pulled dipstick and bam now we have milk oil so I know k blew a head gasket or cracked a head or maybe worse :/ .

So I'm rebuilding this motor .

Give me some suggestions on how to do this rebuild
All help is much welcomed !!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Cloyes 3028x double roller chain.
Fel-pro everything.
50mm throttle body

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What Dodge Dude said. Also, count on replacing the heads. There is a 95% chance that one or both will be cracked irregardless of whether they were overheated or not. Look for a new (not reconditioned) set with thicker castings between the intake/exhaust valves which is where the OEMs like to crack.

BOTH of mine had multiple cracks when I had my engine freshened.

Also, since the intake is going to be off, this would be an absolutely golden time to do a plenum repair.

And hey, if your pockets are deep enough, a cam swap and a tune would be pretty groovy. ;)

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
What Dodge Dude said. Also, count on replacing the heads. There is a 95% chance that one or both will be cracked irregardless of whether they were overheated or not. Look for a new (not reconditioned) set with thicker castings between the intake/exhaust valves which is where the OEMs like to crack.

BOTH of mine had multiple cracks when I had my engine freshened.

Also, since the intake is going to be off, this would be an absolutely golden time to do a plenum repair.

And hey, if your pockets are deep enough, a cam swap and a tune would be pretty groovy. ;)
I wouldn't bother with a cam on a stock intake manifold and if going stock heads with thicker castings. Heads and intake don't flow enough for a worthwhile cam

OP
OP
F

Fyr&Resq91

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999&2008
Engine
5.9&5.7
Been a while fellas , here's what I've decided to do

New heads
Rv cam
Kegger mod till I can do Hughes air gap
Hughes plenum repair
.20-.30 over speed pro Pistons
All new race quality bearings
Double roller time chain
All new sensors .
New rollers and rockers
50mm tb
Pacesetter shortys

I'm also going to freshen up the transmission with a rebuild and update a few parts in there new billit servos Kevlar bands etc....

I will be looking forward to hearing more info on what y'all recommend also I'll post pictures as I go

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Been a while fellas , here's what I've decided to do

New heads
Rv cam
Kegger mod till I can do Hughes air gap
Hughes plenum repair
.20-.30 over speed pro Pistons
All new race quality bearings
Double roller time chain
All new sensors .
New rollers and rockers
50mm tb
Pacesetter shortys

I'm also going to freshen up the transmission with a rebuild and update a few parts in there new billit servos Kevlar bands etc....

I will be looking forward to hearing more info on what y'all recommend also I'll post pictures as I go
I would 52mm instead of 50. Same price at Hipotek and better performance across the board. Would do 1.7 rockers over stock as well. Other than that seems like a pretty decent list

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Looks good. I'm curious, where are you getting your new heads? Just make sure that they actually are new and not remans. Remans are just that, remanufactured OEM heads that were very VERY lucky to not have cracked. I wouldn't bank on them not cracking the second time around though...

I agree with the 52mm throttle body over the 50 since you are upping your cam. Me, I'm using a "true" 50mm throttle body, but I've got an OEM cam and am not planning on swapping it anytime soon (at least this year anyway) so it's just dandy for my needs.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Looks good. I'm curious, where are you getting your new heads? Just make sure that they actually are new and not remans. Remans are just that, remanufactured OEM heads that were very VERY lucky to not have cracked. I wouldn't bank on them not cracking the second time around though...

I agree with the 52mm throttle body over the 50 since you are upping your cam. Me, I'm using a "true" 50mm throttle body, but I've got an OEM cam and am not planning on swapping it anytime soon (at least this year anyway) so it's just dandy for my needs.

Along the lines of what Yeret has said about the heads, instead of remans I would get EQs from Jegs or eBay. Thicker castings so they don't crack.