5.9 starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have to give my 96 12v a little bit of throttle every time I start it or it will crank for a while before it starts. When it's warm I just have to tap the throttle while I turn the key and it will start and idle fine. If it's cold I have to keep a little bit of throttle for a while or else it will die. The colder it is the longer I have to keep throttle. I'm thinking I just need to turn up the idle. Any suggestions? Thanks

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Check for fuel pressure. Usually hard starts like that are due to worn lift or injection pumps.

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Thank-you that was my next guess hopefully not the injection pump... next thing to be replaced is the lift pump

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Thank-you that was my next guess hopefully not the injection pump... next thing to be replaced is the lift pump

Check for fuel pressure first. If its low, then replace it, but it its reading properly, why waste 200-300$ on a part that isn't bad.

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Check for fuel pressure first. If its low, then replace it, but it its reading properly, why waste 200-300$ on a part that isn't bad.

I actually did try to replace the lift pump a couple weeks ago because I'm pretty sure the old one is bad, it's got that clicking noise coming from it plus the way it starts and the p7100 injection pumps aren't really know to go bad very often at all, ended up putting the old one back in because I made the mistake of ordering a cheap lift pump from Amazon that ended up not working, but I do agree with checking the pressure I just need to get a gauge