5.9 v8 is going be the death of me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suede

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Hi guys, First off, im impressed with the site, I'm on a couple other boards for other vehicles, but this one is really well laid out! Kudos!

On to what brought me here....

I have gotten a 1999 Dodge 2500, 5.9 V8, 2WD, that the prev owner couldnt get running and its still being very stubborn and will not run...

I have replaced the Battery, Distributor cap, rotor, sensor under the cap, throttle position sensor, and now the Crank sensor.... and still no dice

I checked fuel pressure at the rail, key on it primes up to 45psi, and under cranking stays roughly around that area but bounces pretty terribly yet doesn't really drop off completely...

I checked spark with an inline light, off the coil i have a distinct pulse to it, and at each plug i have a couple flickers and a pulse repetitively...

I am not throwing any codes, and all seems to be well guage wise.....

While cranking (with petal to the floor) full throttle, it will act like it wants to take off and somewhat fires, but just surges and falls off again.....

I tried dumping some gas down the throttle body, but doesnt seem to really affect anything......

I also verified plug wires are going to their correct spot and are in the correct spot on the cap....

this thing truely has me stumped....

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you verified the timing is correct? Someone may have installed distributor 180* off.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you verified the timing is correct? Someone may have installed distributor 180* off.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Distributor controls fuel sync on these motors

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Don't **** with distributor. Whole can of worms.

$10 says it's the coil. Ohm check it. 12-15k between the tower and once of the plug pins and roughly 1ohm between the 2 pins in the plug.

OP
OP
S

suede

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Don't **** with distributor. Whole can of worms.

$10 says it's the coil. Ohm check it. 12-15k between the tower and once of the plug pins and roughly 1ohm between the 2 pins in the plug.

so one ohm between a and b on the plug for the coil itself, and 12k to 15k from one wire in the plug to the output of the coil? does it matter which wire?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
so one ohm between a and b on the plug for the coil itself, and 12k to 15k from one wire in the plug to the output of the coil? does it matter which wire?

Yep the coil itself. Does not mate which pin in the connector when checking against the tower but just the coil itself. Your not checking the wires just the internal windings of the coil

OP
OP
S

suede

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Yep the coil itself. Does not mate which pin in the connector when checking against the tower but just the coil itself. Your not checking the wires just the internal windings of the coil

well i checked it, seems to be ok? i got 1.3 ohm pin to pin, and 12.87 k-ohm from one pin to tower and 12.88 k-ohm from the other pin to tower.... so thats reasonably within spec, or still think its worth trying?

OP
OP
S

suede

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
can someone with a running 5.9 take a video of their fuel pressure as it primes, cranks and starts?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You're 100% that the plug wires are right? I had a Honda Prelude once that ran excellent and then I changed the plugs and wires. Afterwards, no matter what I did, the engine would not start. I was totally stumped and my old man insisted that I screwed up the plug wires.

Finally, I pulled a diagram and compared it to what I had. Sure enough, the old man was right; I had all of my plug wires advanced one post! This happened because, like a noob, I pulled all the wires off at once because "eh, it's only 4. I'll surely remember where they go!"

I put the wires in the right spot, turned the engine and it fired immediately. Lesson learned, remove/replace the damned wires one at a time, LOL.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well **** coil is in spec technically but could be w weak. What color is your spark? Blue/white perfect, yellowish weak. 45psi on prime should be enough to start it. If it's weak it just won't run long. Neutral safety has been known to cause no start conditions as well.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mmm Nuetral safety switch is a good one, might also swap the asd relay or just make sure it's good.

OP
OP
S

suede

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
You're 100% that the plug wires are right? I had a Honda Prelude once that ran excellent and then I changed the plugs and wires. Afterwards, no matter what I did, the engine would not start. I was totally stumped and my old man insisted that I screwed up the plug wires.

Finally, I pulled a diagram and compared it to what I had. Sure enough, the old man was right; I had all of my plug wires advanced one post! This happened because, like a noob, I pulled all the wires off at once because "eh, it's only 4. I'll surely remember where they go!"

I put the wires in the right spot, turned the engine and it fired immediately. Lesson learned, remove/replace the damned wires one at a time, LOL.

yup pulled the firing order off the intake, and 1 is drivers front, 2 passenger front etc, starting with 1 at roughly 7 o'clock (as your looking from the front...

OP
OP
S

suede

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Well **** coil is in spec technically but could be w weak. What color is your spark? Blue/white perfect, yellowish weak. 45psi on prime should be enough to start it. If it's weak it just won't run long. Neutral safety has been known to cause no start conditions as well.
I tried a new coil and still no dice, so i took it back, Ill check spark plugs here this afternoon and report back on that....

Neutral safety swiches are only on manuals correct? this is an automatic

Tryin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
There's a neutral safety switch on the auto tranny.

I think ASD is auto shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Wouldn't the engine not even crank if it was the neutral safety switch? My sister had an Expedition that would occasionally not crank over until you pulled the shifter back and forth a couple times.

The ASD relay sends power to the fuel pump, right? He mentioned that he has fuel pressure. If you want, the ASD relay is the same as the others in the PDC so you can simply switch it with another one.

Really perplexing issue, there really isn't any reason why the engine won't fire. Only thing left that I can think of is the cam timing being off.

OP
OP
S

suede

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
yea it turns over fine, and if i hold it to the floor, it acts like its starting (building rpm by firing) and then it just flat falls on its face and turns over a bit and will do the same, start to fire and take off but just falls off

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
pull no. 1 spark plug, remove distributor cap. Stick your finger in the no. 1 spark plug hole in head. Have somebody bump the starter, rolling the engine over. When pressure builds highest, it is on the compression stroke. If there is a timing mark on dampener and timing cover, bump over till just before the marks line up. Do not go past. With marks nearly lined up, you are very near TDC for No 1. Now look to see where the rotor is pointing. It should be pointing at the No 1 terminal in the cap. In clockwise direction attach No 1 spark plug wire, then 8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Last edited:

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Sounds like coil or coil wire..