5.9l durango motor for use in 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rybstn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360
Hey guys new member to the forum here looking for some help. Will a 5.9l 360 motor out of a 1999 durango 4x4 work in a 2001 dodge ram 1500 laramie Slt 4x4? The 8th digit on both vins matches (z). Just worried about whether or not the harnesses are interchangeable. 2 years ago I bought a brand new engine and Trans for the truck and the guy I paid to put it in (my uncles mechanic) pretty much screwed it up. From the begginning its smoked like crazy and the dealer diagnosis showed excessive blowback and recommends replacing it. I bought with a warranty but the warranty company won't cover it. And I don't have $5k so I'm trying to figure out what I can swap it with. I found a durango on CL with 5.9l with 112xxx on it that the owner rolled and wants gone. I can get it for a good price just need to know if the engine and Trans are interchangeable from the Durango to the 1500.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Can not help with your question but i am wondering what brand engine you bought and why the company would not honor the warranty? Maybe this could help people in the future not be in the same lousy situation as you are.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

82Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
1982, 2010
Engine
318 Magnum, 6.7 Cummins
Before swapping engines I would replace the lower intake gaskets. These things have a plate on the bottom of the intake that will go bad and engine vacuum will pull oil straight in causing smoke and fouling plugs. I can't say for sure you can swap that year from a Durango. I know that you cannot in 03 because it had a different cam or crank reluctor ring so the computer doesn't know how to time it.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The engine will bolt in, but you will have to use the PCM from the engine, the harness should be the same, should still have the 3 connectors on it because you have the slt. I'm not sure if the 99's are compatible with the 01 transmissions though. You'd have to wait for Dapper or MagSport to shed some light on that bit.

Someone else mentioned it, do your plenum, it will never be easier. If you want, install some nice heads too, stock heads like to crack.

OP
OP
R

Rybstn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360
Can not help with your question but i am wondering what brand engine you bought and why the company would not honor the warranty? Maybe this could help people in the future not be in the same lousy situation as you are.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

The engine company is marshall engines.The shop I had install it is no longer in business so I guess that's why. Even after having the dodge dealership contact them they said in order for me to even begin to file a claim I would need to have dodge pull the engine and ship it to them which I think is ridiculous. I've never heard of having to do that and neither has the dodge service manager who has over 30 years in the service dept dealing with warranties and what not. I would've had to pay dodge $1250 up front just to pull the motor and send it off. Didn't seem like a good idea to me bc the warranty company has all the power to look at the engine and say it's no fault of their own and then I'm out another $1200 for nothing.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I know that you cannot in 03 because it had a different cam or crank reluctor ring so the computer doesn't know how to time it.
I think this has more to do with the 4.7 being standard vs the 5.2 and 5.9
The engine will bolt in, but you will have to use the PCM from the engine, the harness should be the same, should still have the 3 connectors on it because you have the slt. I'm not sure if the 99's are compatible with the 01 transmissions though. You'd have to wait for Dapper or MagSport to shed some light on that bit.

Someone else mentioned it, do your plenum, it will never be easier. If you want, install some nice heads too, stock heads like to crack.

Trans isn't much of an issue. Just need to make sure you use the 01 engine harness on the new engine and that you have the correct flexplate. I'm not 100% sure about the rear of the Durango engine, so just use the flexplate, if they're different, from the old engine and you should be good to go.