5.9L Exhaust Manifold Fasteners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eprigge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Gas V8
Hi, I've got a 2002 2500 with 5.9L Gas V8 and I'm having to replace the whole exhaust system. Anyway, I'm thinking I should replace the exhaust manifolds too... I don't want to repair the rest of it and then have the manifolds fail a year or two from now. They look VERY rusty, so much so I can't even tell what sort of fasteners hold it on.

So, that's my simple question. What fasteners are on a stock manifold? I've looked at new ones and they come with 2 bolts, which is odd since there's 6 holes in the thing. Any info would be appreciated.

I think I'd like to upgrade the exhaust system with better manifolds and all 3" components. If you have any advice as to better exhaust manifolds I'd appreciate that too!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Shorty headers, 3" catback and then splice 3" pipe in between the cat back and the cat.

Factory manifolds use i think 4 bolts and 2 studs with a nut. 3 days of pb blaster or similar and driving it between soaks does wonders for removing them. Also keep a can of freeze off and a propane torch handy. You can heat the manifold then use the freeze off on the bolt. This actually works great and is one of my favorite methods for rusty bolt removal