5.9L (gas) problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpc0357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Magnum
I have a 2000 1500 with a 5.9L gas motor. I just got the truck off of a friend for fairly cheap. I'm looking at rebuilding the motor from the ground up and was hoping to get some advice on good cams and different parts to put on the motor. I would like to boost the low end torque and horsepower. Any help would be appreciated. Any tips or even links to find stuff. Right now the only thing i have been able to find as far as cams go the have listed for cars and I'm wanting more pulling power. Thank you.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If maximum low-end power is what you want, the factory setup actually does a pretty good job. Every component on the engine was designed just for that purpose and it all works pretty good.

Crane makes a couple of RV cams for our applications. Not sure if anyone here has used them.

In my opinion, a true 50mm throttle body boosted mid-range power but had no effect on take-off. Same goes for a fatter y-pipe.

SCT tune by Flyin' Ryan was the real gain, however and I would highly recommend that. Power across the entire RPM range increased noticeably, even with just my bolt-ons. You will need to burn 91 octane, however.

In the end, my off-the-line power is about the same as before, but my 0-70 acceleration is MUCH better especially when the overdrive is off. Me, I was looking to boost mid-range as much as possible with minimal low-end loss as 95% of my driving is on the highway and the extra power really helps on the hills and maintaining a fast cruise.

OP
OP
cpc0357

cpc0357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Magnum
If maximum low-end power is what you want, the factory setup actually does a pretty good job. Every component on the engine was designed just for that purpose and it all works pretty good.

Crane makes a couple of RV cams for our applications. Not sure if anyone here has used them.

In my opinion, a true 50mm throttle body boosted mid-range power but had no effect on take-off. Same goes for a fatter y-pipe.

SCT tune by Flyin' Ryan was the real gain, however and I would highly recommend that. Power across the entire RPM range increased noticeably, even with just my bolt-ons. You will need to burn 91 octane, however.

In the end, my off-the-line power is about the same as before, but my 0-70 acceleration is MUCH better especially when the overdrive is off. Me, I was looking to boost mid-range as much as possible with minimal low-end loss as 95% of my driving is on the highway and the extra power really helps on the hills and maintaining a fast cruise.

Ok I appreciate it I figured since I'm gonna have the engine completely apart I would go ahead and change some things out like a new cam new pistons and what not. Thanks again for the info. I relatively new to Dodge gas trucks. My other truck is a Cummins and its sitting stock and nothing will change. But im gonna put a little lift and bigger tires on my 1500.