5.9L V8 issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Khaleesi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Hi. Super new here. Just got a 99 ram 1500 with the 5.9L V8 with 188k miles on it (got it to last until we can get a better ram 1500). Got it home and let it sit for about an hour and it made this whining sort of sound when we started it up. Faded away and I was checking out the lights and whatnot and the car just started to idle really rough and jerk while in park and all of that fun stuff to the point where it didn't even sound like it was running. Hit the gas, sounded fine again. I only know a smidgen about cars and trucks, but I do know I don't want to have to replace an engine on a car we just bought. The title has a reissued vin, so I'm sure it was a rebuild. Any suggestions on what I should do? It's being taken for an oil change first thing tomorrow, but that's about all I can think of. The previous owner didn't change the oil for the few months he had the truck.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Possibly the IAC, only thing I can think of at the moment that would result in a gradual worsening of idle quality.

Try removing the brake booster line and covering it with your thumb, and only allow a tiny bit of air through, just enough to raise the idle rpm by maybe 100 or so, just a tiny bit of air.

If this fixes your idling problem, i'd bet on that IAC (idle air control valve). Sometimes they can get clogged and can be cleaned with brake/parts cleaner or carb/Throttle body cleaner.