5.9mag mods in 69 dart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZombiePopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Okay guys I've got a weird one for ya. And since the 5.9mag has been used a lot in the rams, it seems only natural to ask the ram community. Which is why I'm here.
I've bought a complete 99 ram sport 4x4 donor vehicle and am planning to swap everything (and I mean everything-entire wire harness, environmental controls, heater box, wipers, lighting, etc etc) into a 69 dart swinger 2dr ht.
My question concerns perf mods.
I'd LIKE to run a more beefy custom cam, thinner head gaskets, Edelbrock elbow, LS2 TB, Hughes fuel rails, injectors WITH twin turbos (maybe 8psi to start).
My question is; does anyone have a GOOD, person/location that can do a full custom tune?
Is the stock comp capable of working with it? Or any suggestions which route to go concerning the computer?
(I've thought about switching to a blow-thru carb, hei, intake etc but really want to stick with FI.)
Thanks for any input.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Kinda a pain in the **** to use the comp. Especially since swapping to carb is so easy.
But the stock PCM won't work well with the upgrades you want to do and an aftermarket tune is so expensive.
We stuck a Magnum 360 in dads 66 Coronet. Nice streetable engine with dyno 380HP on the ground.
Nice cam, stock rebuilt heads, rebuilt engine, .030 10-1 pistons, Edelbrock dual plane air gap, Quick Fuel 750, TTI stainless headers, full TTI stainless dual exhaust. Easy power out of a Magnum.

OP
OP
ZombiePopper

ZombiePopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Yeah from what I'm finding, It seems like the magnums Achilles heel is that PCM.
I'm not opposed to going for a full custom tune-IF the stock PCM is capable. In fact I'd prefer it given the mods.
(Btw anyone looking for a complete rolling 99 ram 4x4 chassis (suspension, brakes, axles, wheels/tires, etc) for cheap, hit me up. Also have the title/vin tag for it.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Your best bet around here would be to hit up Flyin'Ryan. He's done tunes for a few of us and is a wiz with the Magnum engines.

Compared to everything else on your list, the tune is the CHEAP part...

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah from what I'm finding, It seems like the magnums Achilles heel is that PCM.
I'm not opposed to going for a full custom tune-IF the stock PCM is capable. In fact I'd prefer it given the mods.
(Btw anyone looking for a complete rolling 99 ram 4x4 chassis (suspension, brakes, axles, wheels/tires, etc) for cheap, hit me up. Also have the title/vin tag for it.

Another option is to go with one of the all in one fuel injection systems like FiTech, FAST, etc which would also open up your choices of intake manifold.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...-systems?tw=fuel in&sw=Fuel Injection Systems

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The stock PCM CAN handle what you're looking for, imo, since you are going with a 99 it will have the 46RE transmission, that is partially computer controlled. I've seen guys make another engine computer run, but then you have CTM issues if you are planning on keeping other things like remote keyless entry and door ajar lighting, etc.

I would look into getting it custom tuned, as was mentioned, FlyinRyan is the guy to goto when doing stuff like this, he knows his Rams.

Did you by chance get the base model? or the highline/premium version?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Kinda a pain in the **** to use the comp. Especially since swapping to carb is so easy.
But the stock PCM won't work well with the upgrades you want to do and an aftermarket tune is so expensive.
We stuck a Magnum 360 in dads 66 Coronet. Nice streetable engine with dyno 380HP on the ground.
Nice cam, stock rebuilt heads, rebuilt engine, .030 10-1 pistons, Edelbrock dual plane air gap, Quick Fuel 750, TTI stainless headers, full TTI stainless dual exhaust. Easy power out of a Magnum.

Yeah that's a load of horse****. Factory pcm can handle WHATEVER you do to the engine of type using a good sct tuner like Flyinryan who can more than accomplish your pcm control needs

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
As far as mods go:
Twin turbo headers are going to be 100% custom.
I would suggest Edelbrock aluminum heads right off the bat if you're looking to have the best.
Siemens-Deka 80lb/hr fuel injectors will now than handle your plans.
The Edelbrock elbow and LS tb is a route many if the jeep guys have been going lately. Looks cool and you can get higher flowing throttle bodies than our 2bbl configs.
Intake manifold i would go straight to a 4bbl m1. You can get high flowing 4bbl throttle bodies, use an adapter and a 58mm f&b throttle body, or go the elbow route you were wanting.
Turbos i wouldn't go all that big. Twins you're going to want to spool quicker and 8psi isn't a very lather power goal. You'd almost be better off with a procharger for that

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Yeah that's a load of horse****. Factory pcm can handle WHATEVER you do to the engine of type using a good sct tuner like Flyinryan who can more than accomplish your pcm control needs

So you CAN upgrade the engine all over the place and a STOCK PCM will handle it without any fancy upgrades? Awesome. I thought you HAD TO upgrade the PCM to match your engine upgrades. Good to know.
I'm sure I said Stock. Yup, I did.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
So you CAN upgrade the engine all over the place and a STOCK PCM will handle it without any fancy upgrades? Awesome. I thought you HAD TO upgrade the PCM to match your engine upgrades. Good to know.
I'm sure I said Stock. Yup, I did.

Just the programming it contains and that can be done through an email and handheld

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Just the programming it contains and that can be done through an email and handheld

Let me get this straight. A stock PCM without ANY modification at all whatsoever works fine on a "built" engine? (But an upgraded PCM would surely help.)
I said no. You say yes?
Real good to know as I now have a Mag 360 for my truck and a stock PCM to match it. Be nice to be able to upgrade my engine without buying a upgrade for my PCM and was told I needed to and I asked FR and it turned out to be quite a bit of money. Worth it no doubt but more than I wanted to spend.
So this guy can upgrade and turbo and all to his engine and your saying a STOCK PCM will work fine?
Just getting confused following these build up threads as I see conflicting information here.

Like some say a cam is a nice upgrade, some say pointless without performance heads and exhaust and intake etc etc.

It's all very confusing.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Physically stock yes. The programming it contains needs upgraded. Custom tuning through FR is less than $1000 including purchasing/setting up the wideband 02. Standalone controller alone will cost several thousands and a lot of wire splicing making it an expensively fun...adventure. Performance PCMs that most made also won't truly support these ambitions either.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Physically stock yes. The programming it contains needs upgraded.

So like I said a STOCK PCM needs upgrading to work with mods. I see.

QUOTE. Originally Posted by Jimmy68 View Post
But ***(the stock PCM won't work well with the upgrades you want to do)*** and an aftermarket tune is so expensive. END

QUOTE. Yeah that's a load of horse****. ***(Factory pcm can handle WHATEVER you do to the engine)*** of type using a good sct tuner like Flyinryan who can more than accomplish your pcm control need
QUOTE.

So would all these mods this guy want to do to his 69 Dart be better to use the stock system upgraded or get a F.A.S.T. like that other guy said?

Myself, I'd go with a complete aftermarket injection system designed for everything I wanted to do to my car without worrying about swapping harnesses and everything involved with that THEN getting a tune for my stock PCM for a grand and hope it does everything using an old system.

Well no, I'd go carb. Screw wiring and comps.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Tuning isn't necessarily considered a straight modification usually as it's just reprogramming. As for the cost Canadian vs U.S., 1300 I'd still cheaper than the 2500 minimum for an aftermarket control system. Also the aftermarket system will now than likely use throttle body fuel injection making an intake with injector bosses useless and taking away the real benefit of mpfi. Tbi is basically am electronic carb. Makes fuel control easy but that's not all efi is good for.

Also swapping a stock harness isn't all that super difficult, the harder part would be the cluster/dash but there's also plenty of clusters that run off the obd2 port for easy swapping.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well no, I'd go carb. Screw wiring and comps.

Yeah, but anyone can tear out the wiring, slap on a carb'd intake manifold and a Holley 4-barrel and call it a day. Of course, that will require tuning as well if you don't want the cylinders sucking in a half-pint of gas during every intake stroke.

Also, in this particular case, if you go carb'd, forget about using the OEM gauge cluster or 46re transmission (OP didn't specify what he wanted to use for a tranny). Small stuff probably, but worth considering nonetheless.

Sometimes a guy just feels like playing in left field for no reason other than it's "different." And just because it's different doesn't mean that it can't scoot.

For example, you could take a Magnum 360, stroke it to 408 cid, slap on a pair of ported, CNC'd Iron Ram heads with stud-mount converted roller rockers and drilled for LA intake manifolds, bolt on an Edelbrock 28155 Super Victor intake manifold with a universal Holley 2,000 CFM throttle body, heavy fuel injectors and slide in a bigass bumpstick and, with a good SCT tune, could make "holy ****" power...all with the original, unassuming-looking ECU that simply needs a little re-writing to operate all this. Now where could we find a guy who could do this...

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You'll make more power with Eddie aluminium heads with an efi 4bbl m1 and both will both right on. The heads are already pre-setup for stud rockers

Flyinryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
I am available for both remote and in-person tuning. The last boosted 360 I did made 525/644 on 10.5 psi without me ever leaving my home office.

Last edited: