5 or Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Curiously looking at engine rebuild kits for my 360 before I put it in my truck.
Now I know I was told it's a 99 engine but the alternator is wrong for my 01 so I'll suspect it's a 98, or older, but as I look for a kit I keep seeing I'm suppose to verify whether my truck has a 5 or a Z in the serial number.
Why?

Ok. I see Light Duty or Heavy Duty.
If i choose a kit, which would I choose?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
have you tried just getting a build sheet to see what alternator you should have? it is usually not hard to verify which alternator you have. they usually have the amperage rating on the alternator's factory sticker

enter vin in the box labled vin to get a build sheet
https://dodge.custhelp.com/app/dodge/eqlisting_detail

What I meant is, the alternator won't fit my 01. I know cause I had to buy one last week. So knowing that, I say my 360 on the stand is a 98 or older and I want to possibly rebuild it before swapping it into my 01 which has a 318.
But all I see is the rebuild kits asking what my 8th digit is. Not knowing the serial number of the truck the 360 came out of I do not have that answer.
Which leads me to.... which kit should I be purchasing if I do rebuild it?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
which alternator has the higher amperage rating? i would probably rebuild whichever has the higher output. if both are the same then i would just use the alternator off the 318. as far as i know the only thing they changed was the connector. should physically be the same alternator size wise.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
which alternator has the higher amperage rating? i would probably rebuild whichever has the higher output. if both are the same then i would just use the alternator off the 318. as far as i know the only thing they changed was the connector. should physically be the same alternator size wise.

Your stuck on alternator. I do not know the serial number of the truck my used 360 came out of. I want to rebuild the 360 and put it into my truck.
Alternator is an older model so I know the engine is 98 and older, not like my 01 which is 99 and newer.

The ENGINE rebuild kits I'm seeing ask for the 8th digit of the serial number so as to purchase the correct ENGINE rebuild kit.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The only HD360s, Vin code 5, came out of 3500s.

All others were standard duty, Vin code Z.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
The only HD360s, Vin code 5, came out of 3500s.

All others were standard duty, Vin code Z.

That says a lot. Chances are it's a Z engine then.
Any way to tell? Not knowing what the engine came out of.
All I know is it came out of a rolled 4x4 farm truck.
Probably a 2500 but Idk. Is there a way to be certain?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The only difference that I know off the top of my head between the light-duty and heavy-duty 5.9 gassers is that the light-duty uses a cast-iron crankshaft whereas the heavy-duty uses a forged crankshaft. The difference between the cranks could influence the main and rod bearings that you would want to use, but I'm not sure.

I'm almost positive that all 2500 trucks that were equipped with a 5.9 gasser had the forged crankshaft while the 1500's got the cast iron crank.

Unfortunately, without knowing whether the engine came from a 1500 or a 2500, I have no idea how you would verify the metallurgy of the crankshaft.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I'm reading the differences are the crank (you say), spark plugs, tuning, cam, cooling package, HD has an air pump, etc. So many differing answers.