95 Dodge diesel w/5.9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meekser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Having issues with my truck cutting off after 5 to 7 seconds . It will start after 3 to 4 tries but have to keep the idle high till it warms up . If anyone can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated .

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Most of us don't know diesel very well so you'd be better off in the diesel section of the forum or another forum.

However, diesels are fuel oriented ie throttle=more fuel. Requirement of higher idle to run sounds like lack of fuel to me. I'd start with fuel filter/s then look at fuel/injection pumps. Do you have the fuel screw adjusted at all?

If start with filters. Check back in with what you find, we're always curious to learn more

Jedeka

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 and 1997
Engine
408 and 5.2
It sounds like you are getting air in the system.

OP
OP
M

meekser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
95 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel

Thanks for the info ! I thought I was on diesel ! Will try again and thanks again !

OP
OP
M

meekser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Most of us don't know diesel very well so you'd be better off in the diesel section of the forum or another forum.

However, diesels are fuel oriented ie throttle=more fuel. Requirement of higher idle to run sounds like lack of fuel to me. I'd start with fuel filter/s then look at fuel/injection pumps. Do you have the fuel screw adjusted at all?

If start with filters. Check back in with what you find, we're always curious to learn more
I'm stupid ! This is my first diesel pickup. I got the truck from my son about 4 months ago. Yesterday I spoke with him and he inform me that I have to wait for the wait to start like to go out before starting the truck. I believe this was my issue. I went to my truck this morning and noticed the wait to start light and when it went out I started the truck and it seemed to do fine. Had to pedal it a little bit but it never shut off on me. Thank you for your reply on my issue that was not really an issue at all. Lol

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that would definitely do it. it is important for you to wait for the wait to start light to go out before trying to start or you may be harder to start. as long as that light is on the grid heaters are on which is warming up the air that gets sucked into the engine. you most likely won't see the light much if at all in the summer but in the winter you will most likely see it all the time.