96 2wd tranny re/re now stuck in 2nd n 3rd only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curtdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just re/re my tranny with an auto wrecker special. Now tranny won't shift into reverse unless I Rev up engine. Also seems like it's stuck in limp mode. I never get 1st gear. Drive seems to keep it in 3rd and I can manual shift into 2nd. No converter lock up. If I cycle key 3 times on high way I'll get 4th for about 10 seconds then it shifts back to 3rd. I have replaced output speed senser. I have tried unplugging the multi pin connecter I belive controls the solenoids and it is permanently stuck in 2nd and 3rd. Doesn't change reverse problem. Is tranny nfg? Or is it repairable? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone who offers a bit of insight here.
Ps I still have old tranny to swap parts out with

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I almost wanna say the governor pressure solenoid is out, but don't quote me on me.

OP
OP
C

curtdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is that something I can change just by dropping pan? How do I identify which solenoid? That does seem like a likely option but I'm not sure how to identify the right parts to change

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I took a quick look through the manual and I agree with Dodge Dude, it seems like something to do with the pressure solenoid. You are probably going to have to crack open the valve body to get any real indication of what is going on. Which will require dropping the pan.

What is in the pan can also tell you a lot about what is going on.

OP
OP
C

curtdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dudeman I only have about 100 km on this tranny. It just got fresh oil and filter. I am contemplating removing tranny and returning to wrecker if repair is too costly or difficult. I am pretty confident about my repair skill but is there anything to watch for removing valve body? Also can I just swap it for the valve body in my old trans?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Don't need to pull the valvebody. Solenoid is replaceable with just pan and filter removal. I'll find a video and post it

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Here's that video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kvl-_-vY6rk

Also, after rereading your problems, it sounds very familiar to the issues i had with mine. Mine was internal damage/clogging/sticking of the valvebody. Could follow the factory service manual and tear it down, clean and inspect it, and reinstall it. Could do so to old vb as well.

What year trans did you pull?

OP
OP
C

curtdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure. Wrecker pulled it. It had 96 1500 written on it so I 2ould assume it's a 96. But not sure 100%. I'll watch video and try that and also just tare down valve body and clean or swap for my known good one from the tranny I removed. Thanks guys I'll post what happens as I do it

OP
OP
C

curtdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update... swapped 3 electric solenoids and pressure transducer from old trans.Drove around the block twice n warmed her up and seems good. Shifts into reverse good and seems to have all gears. Gonna put insurance back on next week. Fingers crossed all is well. Thanks for the help guys :)

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Good luck hope it keeps working for you.:happy107:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Good luck to you, thanks for getting back with what fixed it. Helps those of us with similar problems.

OP
OP
C

curtdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
K update time.... worked good for about a day....I have regained all my forward gears. Thank goodness... but as for reverse. Not so much. It was good for a day then back to not shifting into reverse unless I bumped throttle a bit. When it does it hammers into gear. I've started giving it a bump in park then shift into reverse after the bump. Makes it much smother...almost like it's supposed to. Sometimes I can just wait and it will shift. Sometimes I wait and it feels like it half shifts. It will start moving vehicle backwards a bit but if I go to accelerate it will hammer into gear again. I also have what I think is an unrelated problem still which was the reason I swapped tyrannies in the first place. Delayed shift from 2nd to 3rd. It will shift buy only when I let off the throttle all the way or just about all the way. I have already swapped tranny speed senser and tps senser thinking they were causing it not to shift. It is also intermittent. But I'd say about 90 percent of the time it doesn't want to shift properly. Any thoughts on what controls the shifting from 2nd to 3rd? Hydraulic or electric? I highly doubt that I got a tranny with a bad 3rd clutch/band(that is what tranny shop advised as the problem with the first tranny I removed. Any help would be appreciated thanks

BTW I'm leaning towards valve body blockage/ bad solenoid/ weak oil pump....for no reverse issue anyway