'97 1500 3.9 - 5.2 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
I have a very very very useless 3.9 V6 Auto 2WD. Now I want to throw a 5.2 (318) Magnum in it with a 5 speed behind it (Probably NV3500) so then I can at least say it's a V8 haha. I know where to find a couple Junkyard 318's but for a Dodge 5 speed I only know of one for sure, sitting behind a 360 (I think it's a 360). Now my question is what exact parts do I need (Likley 90% Junkyard) and how big of a process will this be. I want it to be the same as a factory setup (Other than a little bit of motor work. Cams, Intake Manifold, Heads, etc.) If anyone would be oh so kind and help me out with a list it'd be greatly appreciated!

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I would suggest looking looking for a wrecked donor truck, otherwise not sure whats involved from going from v6 to v8.

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
What I would see you needing is the engine/trans, engine harness, computer, driveshaft because the one for an auto will be a different length, and pedal assembly.

If the trans comes from behind a 360, you will need to get a different flywheel since 360's are externally balanced.

An ax-15 out of a Dakota would technically get the job done, but they aren't strong.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Go with the nv3500. That trans won't be behind a 360 unless somebody swapped it in. Only 2500/3500 trucks got a 5spd 360 and that is the nv4500, much much stronger and lower geared. Not fast but if you can get that instead it's bulletproof.

You'll need trans, harness and pcm. Possibly driveshaft

OP
OP
M

MackieChan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.9
Thanks for all the help! I suppose I should start pricing my list off. This will not be done until I have EVERYTHING needed for the swap setting on the floor in front of me. I drive my truck everyday and in one way or another it's needed, so this needs to be a weekend maybe long weekend 3-4 day kind of ordeal, about 4 people working on this thing all day. I would say hopefully late June or early early July, but don't get too excited. I'm a broke boy and it WILL take a while for this build.
Thanks!

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the help! I suppose I should start pricing my list off. This will not be done until I have EVERYTHING needed for the swap setting on the floor in front of me. I drive my truck everyday and in one way or another it's needed, so this needs to be a weekend maybe long weekend 3-4 day kind of ordeal, about 4 people working on this thing all day. I would say hopefully late June or early early July, but don't get too excited. I'm a broke boy and it WILL take a while for this build.
Thanks!

I have been a part of a few engine swaps or pulls and building and dropping back in. One was a 91 camaro, and one was a 96 Bronco. Both my buddies. His camaro was just pulling the engine and changing out heads, cam, oil pan and pump, and the gaskets and motor mounts. This was about a month long process doing everything on weekends. His bronco got a 7.3 powerstroke swap, and that took months with him working on it for most of the day for several weeks at a time. Not the same as the swap you are talking, but unless you know exactly what you are doing, I don't know if this swap is going to happen in 3-4 days complete. You always have to factor in something going wrong, and, you have to assume you are going to come up short with parts and/or tools. So you will want to plan a lot before getting into it. You are swapping an engine that came into the truck from factory, so you won't really have to do much modification. But if you are going from auto to manual, you will have to get a different pedal assembly, clutch hydraulics, cut a hole in the floor for the shifter, and maybe even a new steering column. Not sure the difference between the auto and manual other than the shifter.