97 2500 5.9 V8 No start after rebuild - No power to coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Hi all.

My 228K Mile Ram 2500's 5.9 V8 was getting old and tired, and i dont have time or money to pick up something newer, so I bought a cheap and lower milage 5.9 V8 out of a 95 and went through it with all new gaskets/seals/etc and verified that it was healthier than the old engine. It finally found its way into the truck, only to have it not start after about 20 hours of work.

I immediately narrowed it down:

No power was leaving the coil to go to the distributor.

No power was going to any plug wires.

I unplugged the coil and hooked my multimeter up to it (don't have a test light) and had my helper crank it over. I figured the voltage would at least jump on the screen, which it did not. So it would appear that no power is coming to the coil.

The PCM/harness/everything else is original to the truck. The only thing replaced was hard engine parts and the block.

The truck did run before the swap, just burned 3 qts / week (after plenum fix) and I found a few good chunks in the pan when i pulled it down to put it on the new engine.

Im not really sure where to go from here, im not sure what to poke or prod with my multimeter to try to find whats up.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Prayers? Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Have you touched the crank sensor at all?
Yes. The 95 engine did not come with one, so I replaced it with the one of the 97, the one that was originally in the truck. I also used the flexplate off the 97 as well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452