97 Ram 1500 5.9L No startup issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fleels03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
My 97 5.9l has has a very bad startup issue lately. It clicks once when i turn ignition key and engages the dash lights, but doesn't turn over. I installed a new battery in it, which fixed the issue temporarily but then the next day it was dead again. When i tried to jump it, the headlights would go on but the engine was still a no go. Ive been trying to figure this out but it's been a real headache and some guidance would be much appreciated. If you need any more info let me know

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
First is to check the alternator to make sure its charging properly. It should be outputting anywhere from 12.8-14.5V at idle. If its below that mark you have a charging system issue. If that checks out good then you have a parasitic draw problem. First is to remove/unplug all accessories, there are a couple ways to check for parasitic draw. The easiest is to get yourself a current shunt, a 50A shunt is enough to allow the key to be put in the run position while also providing enough accuracy with key off to get a good reading for parasitic draw.

Another option is to loosen the top post on the battery so you can pull it off by hand. Take a multimeter with both a 10A range as well as a milliamp range. At first you'll have the positive terminal loose and turn the key on, let everything boot up then shut it down and wait 10 minutes. After 10 minutes take the meter in the 10A range and hold one probe to the battery post and the other on the vehicle connector. Then remove the vehicle connector from the battery post, if it reads less than .1A put the vehicle connector back on the battery post and repeat in the mA range. If its more than .1A you have major draw coming from somewhere. In the mA range you should have less than 30mA draw, anything more indicates a draw of some sort.