'98 Sport 1500 5.9L oil burning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bikerlbf406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I have a '98 Ram 1500 with the 5.9L in it. Has a 163K miles on it. I know it is burning oil and not leaking it. I've already replaced the PCV valve. It is going through oil at about quart a week or about every couple hundred miles. It seems to have plenty of power but does idle a little rough when idling. Runs good other then that. The shop I had it at, said the only way to determine the cause of the oil burning is to tear in to the motor. My guess would be either valve seals are bad, or intake gasket is leaking. I've gathered that the intake gaskets are a problem on the 5.9's. My question is, is there a way to determine the cause without taking and tearing in to the motor and spending a bunch of money just to find the cause. Also the oil turned black after only about 300 or so miles after changing it. I just recently bought the truck last month and hate to get rid of it already. But I don't have a ton of money to through at it, nor do I know any record on previous oil changes, tune ups or any other maintenance done to the truck. What do you all recommend I do. I'm trying to spend as little money as possible and prefer to spend nothing or close to nothing to atleast find the problem of the oil burning.

Pntyrmvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Google Magnum intake leak test.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

OP
OP
B

bikerlbf406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
By the way I forgot to mention that shortly after buying the truck I had to have both oxygen sensors and the catalytic converter replaced due to all 3 being bad, don't know if that was due to the oil burning or not.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'll second the plenum, there is a thread at the top of the engine and performance section about it.

Pntyrmvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy the Hughes engines plenum kit and get on with it.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
That sucks that you just bought it. Did the seller mention the disappearing oil? Was the oil level fine when you bought it?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bikerlbf406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
It was low on oil when I bought it but I knew it was leaking from the valve cover gasket and just attributed the low oil level to that. Which I already had the valve cover gaskets replaced, just to find out it is still using oil.

OP
OP
B

bikerlbf406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Just spoke to the shop again to ask them about intake manifold gasket and they said they tested it already and is not leaking, they said it's either the valve seals or piston rings.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I call ********. Also that vacuum test doesn't prove anything and these are a guaranteed fail item anyways. Do the plenum and go from there or you'll spend a ton of cash to run around in circles