'98 Sport 5.9L major oil usage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I there is vacuum in the crankcase with the pcv out of the valve cover yes, you need to pull the intake and reseal the lower

OP
OP
B

bikerlbf406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
OK, called around today on getting the intake gasket replaced. The dealer and all the shops I called all say its a 4.5 hour labor so the prices range anywhere from $375 (parts & labor) to $600 depending where I go. Got calls out for 2 places I trust, and the other 2 places I trust both want around $400 all in. Does this sound about right?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
sounds reasonable

OP
OP
B

bikerlbf406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well after much thought and deliberation, condsidering the $400 to repair the oil burning or what should take care of it with no guarantee it would, the $500 in upper and lower ball joints needed on both sides, and the $1K repair to the front end from me running it in a ditch a couple weeks ago......I made the decision to trade it and my dodge caravan in on a 2003 Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab 4WD with off-road package at a local dealer I've bought from on several occassions and my parents have bought from twice. It does at least include some warranty and they do tend to back to vehicles which in reason.l

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Well after much thought and deliberation, condsidering the $400 to repair the oil burning or what should take care of it with no guarantee it would, the $500 in upper and lower ball joints needed on both sides, and the $1K repair to the front end from me running it in a ditch a couple weeks ago......I made the decision to trade it and my dodge caravan in on a 2003 Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab 4WD with off-road package at a local dealer I've bought from on several occassions and my parents have bought from twice. It does at least include some warranty and they do tend to back to vehicles which in reason.l

Sounds like you're just gonna trade 2 vehicles for one 14 year old vehicle that probably has problems of its own.
Good luck.

OP
OP
B

bikerlbf406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I know this new truck is likely to have some problems on its own as well, however atleast for now it is under warranty and the dealership I bought it from, is one that tends to do whatever they can which in reason to make it customers happy and stand behind their vehicles. Along with both vehicles I traded in are used vehicles getting up in mileage. I do know this truck has lower mileage and does have maintenance recods, which means a lot of course.