99 5.9 project rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motodad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360 5.9
Hello to all!! Haven't been here in a while, but curious to hear comments or suggestions on a huge project I'm about to embark on. My 99 Ram 1500 4X4 has 230k on the original motor. It's tired to say the least and burning through about 3 quarts of oil / tank of gas...HAHA!!! I't retired right now so I plan on putting some money into the motor for something trick and beefy!! I know it's going to cost me a bit of $$ but I'm willing to save up for what I want and hope I'm not making a big mistake. Any advice ya'll might have on what I'm planning or send me into a better direction would be greatly appreciated! All that said, this is what I've done so far, and what I'm planning on doing with the motor.

99 1500 SPORT 4X4 Mopar 360 5.9l gas.
Fresh 356 gears front and back done last year 2015
Transmission rebuilt in 20013 about 25k miles on fresh rebuild.
Rolling on 35/12.5 18 Open Country MT's and 18" Spy wheels.
G2 Differential covers front/rear
5" BDS long arm lift kit in front with full leaf spring lift in the rear. All powder coated blue....(although I didn't powder coat the leaf springs)...looks really cool!!
FOX shocks all around
Aluminum 3 core radiator installed 2012
HD transmission cooler installed 2013
HID lights/fogs (I don't remember the temp)
Spyder aftermarket head lights with HALO's
Trick aftermarket hood from a company in CA.
K&N Cold air intake
Will be installing a completely new dashboard and partial interior with all sorts of insulation and sound deadening material under the carpet.
I'll list more topics and send picks as it's getting all done up pretty!! there's much more on it but I'm not listing it just yet.

Motor plans..... Talked with a company out here in CO and here's the potential plan...
Bore and Stroke it.
Blueprint and balance.
New Aluminum performance heads.
52mm Throttle Body
JBA shorty ceramic coated headers
Full 2.5 stainless exhaust from the headers back with a Magnaflow high flow cat and Magnaflow muffler.
Bigger fuel injectors (they have a plan, but I'm welcome to suggestions)
Cam (they have a plan, but I'm welcome to suggestions)
Stock intake manifold (should I port and polish it, company didn't recommend it)
After all that, the shop is stating this custom build, after tuning, should be pushing right around 425HP at the crank. THAT'S what I'm talking about!!

I think thats about it aside from a 2k stall torque converter on the tranny(any other transmission upgrade suggestions would be appreciated)
I'd like to put electric fans on it and get rid of the old fan and shroud so you can see all I'm doing to the motor, but the company also stated they liked the stock fan?? Really?? So, all that's left is a motor and a paint job, and most likely more I'm forgetting, but I think that's about it!!
Thanks for reading!! looking forward to hearing some suggestions!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
425hp with the kegger. Not without about 10psi of boost you won't make that.

If you're going to be using Eddie heads you NEED to have either a Mopar M1 or Airgap manifold. The factory kegger won't support a mild 360 let alone a stroker. Also in that same sense I'd recommend a 52x55mm f&b throttle body, 52mm is good for mild bolt on 360s but anything more you'll want bigger. 2.5" exhaust is a bit small for those plans and spintech mid length headers have more appropriately sized primary pipes. Stock injectors are plenty for a built 360 but for a stroker you'll want to bump up to 30lb/hr. Tuning is imperative and sct from Ryan at Frptuning.com is what you want. Make sure a wideband 02 is part of the build for tuning purposes

OP
OP
M

Motodad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360 5.9
Thanks Guys!! I seriously appreciate all the input. I've looked into everything you have mentioned and I'm waiting for the tuner to get back to me about the intake and the bigger TB... They're thinking it may be harder to pass emissions with a bigger intake and TB.. I'll know more this monday... Will report back with possible changes once I talk with the tuner shop.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Intake it won't but I've seen it happen with the throttle bodies. But then again 7 bolts and an airhat is a pretty easy swap. Just leave one in the garage for emissions day and have a tune for stock throttle body as well as aftermarket. Like everybody in Cali does it lol.

But, without larger throttle body and especially intake you really won't make much power. Wasn't paying attention earlier and 425 is possible with a stroked engine running a kegger possibly but most make that to the wheels with less than you'll have in the build

OP
OP
M

Motodad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360 5.9
So here's what I've researched so far:
Found an air gap manifold by Hughes Engines!! Really cool guys there!! They have an air gap manifold made by Eddlebrock for Hughes with FI ports ready for injectors and a TB. They also have a TB almost 1/2 the cost of others that will flow just as good if not better according to their Dino tests.. only thing I'd have to relocate is the IAT sensor. They said to put that in the intake before the TB. I just have to find a cool way to mount that in/on the hard plastic K&N cold air intake tube. Any ideas anybody???

Also looked at some Spin Tech headers that look pretty good as well. Transmission guy mentioned similar Kevlar belts and possible re valving tricks in the trans to help with the added HP!!

Looking into bigger rotors for the front and double piston calipers off a 200-2001 for my 99. I heard they can bolt right up with the proper knuckles?

I want to do rear discs for my 99
1500!! I've read that the drums are just fine if not better, but I want the look of discs. Saw a kit from summit with good and bad reviews and I've I've heard about a 77 Monte Carlo rear disc swap that works just fine, but sounds like too much work to get it all ready and installed right. Anybody done rear discs on a 99 and is it any better or just the same? I know I'm going to get most of my stopping power from the front, so bigger rotors and double piston calipers should be the ticket for my 35's on 18's. Getting pumped up to pull this motor come December!!

So one more thing.. any ideas about how much horsepower will be LOST through the drivetrain and actually make it to the wheels?? So if I end up with 425HP at the crank, is it safe to think that 350HP could make it to the rear wheels??

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Motodad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360 5.9
So here's what I've researched so far:
Found an air gap manifold by Hughes Engines!! Really cool guys there!! They have an air gap manifold made by Eddlebrock for Hughes with FI ports ready for injectors and a TB. They also have a TB almost 1/2 the cost of others that will flow just as good if not better according to their Dino tests.. only thing I'd have to relocate is the IAT sensor. They said to put that in the intake before the TB. I just have to find a cool way to mount that in/on the hard plastic K&N cold air intake tube. Any ideas?

Also looked at some Spin Tech headers that look pretty good as well. Transmission guy mentioned similar Kevlar belts and possible re valving tricks in the trans to help with the added HP!!

Looking into bigger rotors for the front and double piston calipers off a 200-2001 for my 99. I heard they can bolt right up with the proper knuckles?

I want to do rear discs for my 99
1500!! I've read that the drums are just fine if not better, but I want the look of discs. Saw a kit from summit with good and bad reviews and I've I've heard about a 77 Monte Carlo rear disc swap that works just fine, but sounds like too much work to get it all ready and installed right. Anybody done rear discs on a 99 and is it any better or just the same? I know I'm going to get most of my stopping power from the front, so bigger rotors and double piston calipers should be the ticket for my 35's on 18's.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Airgap: good intake, flows 255cfn/runner vs 180 for the kegger. Not quite the top end support of a 2bbl or 4bbl m1 at 270cfm and 280cfm respectively but it is readily available, for a price.

Throttle body: junk **** and a bold faced lie. He uses a factory core and claims it flows 1007cfm. Problem is a factory core can't be bored past 53mm without rupturing the wall of the bore. And below the blades it isn't that big, many have been measured to be factory 48mm below the blades. Now compare that to a billet aluminum F&B throttle body like in my signature. The 52x55mm oval bore like i have flows a proven 980cfm with a cross section equivalent to 56mm round bores. See the problem? Hughes also lies about his airgaps flow capability and swaps the numbers of it and the M1s.

IAT: i quite recently drilled a 1/2" hole in my intake tube and threaded it right into the smooth plastic. No leaks and I'm more than happy. Pipe plug for hole where it was.

Spintech: good headers, same size runners as the pacesetter longtubes with better build quality and fitment. Only issue is the rest of the exhaust isn't plug and play like shorties. But they'll your build like shorties won't. Pricy but well worth it

Front brakes: you'll need the whole 00+ knuckle and everything. Or swap with 94-99 2500 brakes and it's pretty direct.

Rear brakes: I've thought about doing it to mine but can't justify it for my needs. My drums do me more than well enough and only like 30% of the braking is the rear normally. I can spend my cash elsewhere rear discs are sweet and are much better for track stuff. I know nothing of those Cadillac swap bit it sounds sweet, would love a link to where you found this mentioned.

OP
OP
M

Motodad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360 5.9
Man really appreciate all your replys! I'm really impressed with all your knowledge and thank you so much for taking the time and sharing with me!! I called the guys at F&B and they haven't even gotten back to me.. I'll still call them again based on what you said about Hughes TB's. Their air gap manifold is cool though?? Thanks for the tip on the IAT sensor!! I'm going to do just that!! Did you silicone that in or just thread it in and done..?

I'll see if I can find that link about the Monte Carlo rear disc swap and post it when I find it.

Good to know about the 94-99 2500 disks and rotors!! Are 00-01 rotors bigger than those on the 94-99 2500? Thank you sir!!