99 dodge ram 4x4 2500 failing transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rabidhorseracing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guy! Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

IV been on the hunt for a 96+ ram club cab.
iv talked to many of you and I really appreciate everyone's help and advice on my other post.
I found a 99 2500 4x4 with a 5ich lift. It has a few dings but nothing major.
It did some weird things when I looked at it.
Here is what I know.
Truck has the cats removed - straight piped
there has been some transmission work done to it.

It belongs to a girl! She is a ranchers daughters. She has had it for a year. She paid 8500 for it.
She pretty much had proof behind everything she said.

Anyway.

Here is what I know.....

It use to be a fire truck - has leather electrical seats [weirdest freaking color iv ever seen] like a til green or such like!
has rubber flooring - roll up windows.

The truck ran good.... she let it idle for 20 mins or so while we talked - never ran hot or anything.
motor sounded awesome - no rattles or valve train noise no smoke.
After about 10 mins of idling it started loping like it had a cam - kinda sound sick in a good way! Anyway when it started doing it -I asked what's that about and she said it'd never did that before! I hit the pedal and gave it a few rpms and it stopped and never came back?
when I gave it gas - it did not hesitate or anything - it literally acted like it was cammed. ...
any way I took it for a drive.
This 2500 moves like a blown 454 in a civic omg!
it has no problem breaking lose at 20 mph and walking side ways.

So on to the bad. It doesn't appear to be shifting into 4th. At about 40 is when it stops shifting - it just keeps climbing in rpms... I also thought maybe it slipped when first taking off - it could have been wheel spin - the lift kit made it kinda hard to feel out the truck.

I ran the code reader threw it and I can't remember the code by numbers but I do remember the code it's self.

There was a code for - cylinder 8 misfire detected.
Another one for [shift pack or sionoid 3-4]
and one for something about the governor being out of rang - I'm pretty sure it was something to do with the 02s.
The last one was for 02 sensors them self.

I checked the transmission fluid and it was full but dark and burnt!!!

Shooting for worst case scenario and am guessing the transmission is dying.

IV done a ton of tranny swaps - I even converted a 97 f350 7.3 dually from a e4od to a 6 speed....

My question is how hard is it to swap these transmissions?

My buddy owns a salvage yard and said 250$ for one and gives it a one year warranty!

Overall - I love the ride quality - love the cab hight - love the dash - gauge cluster - sound - power.

I plain to build this thing to into a monster - build up the engine with a lopy cam - cattle gards - kc lights - nerf bars - drop down steps - build the bed into a Mobile service bed with a generator - air compressor - tool box's and so on. Of course black and chore the thing out!
on a side no anyone know much about completing a successful bank robbery?

Thanks guys any advice?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Without seeing pics most I'd give the girl is 3 grand because it's gonna cost you nearly 2 grand EASY for a rebuilt trans.

Engine lope sounds like an O2 loading the engine up on fuel and it probably actually has a failing plenum too.

OP
OP
R

rabidhorseracing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Without seeing pics most I'd give the girl is 3 grand because it's gonna cost you nearly 2 grand EASY for a rebuilt trans.

Engine lope sounds like an O2 loading the engine up on fuel and it probably actually has a failing plenum too.

250$ for a salvage yard trans and 500$ to have the stock one rebuilt with a shift kit.... of course this is with me pulling it and installing it.

Thanks for the info - I was wondering if the 02s could have caused the loping. I service plenum gaskets and do full tunes ups on any vehicle I get right away so that's not causing me to much concern. Thank you sir!

OP
OP
R

rabidhorseracing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Good looking trucks you got there bud.
Are the 5.9s. Really this aggressive stock? It definitely wants to move!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
250$ for a salvage yard trans and 500$ to have the stock one rebuilt with a shift kit.... of course this is with me pulling it and installing it.

Thanks for the info - I was wondering if the 02s could have caused the loping. I service plenum gaskets and do full tunes ups on any vehicle I get right away so that's not causing me to much concern. Thank you sir!
I totally hate you right now for getting a rebuild for $500. lol
Definitely going to need pics of the truck to determine a proper price. lol
Good looking trucks you got there bud.
Are the 5.9s. Really this aggressive stock? It definitely wants to move!
Not usually. Do you know what gears are in it? Being a 2500 it'll have either 3.55 or 4.10.

And thanks, man.

OP
OP
R

rabidhorseracing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I totally hate you right now for getting a rebuild for $500. lol
Definitely going to need pics of the truck to determine a proper price. lol

Not usually. Do you know what gears are in it? Being a 2500 it'll have either 3.55 or 4.10.

And thanks, man.

http://rs1288.pbsrc.com/albums/b488...loads/20141112_162308_zps0d0c6cc7.jpg~320x480

There is the only photo I got right now. Its clean over all a ding or two on the passenger side about the size of a quarter.
The rear end was just rebuilt. Maybe she knows what gears are in it.
I'm not dealing with cash in this deal. I'm trading my 03 Mustang v6 base model for it. The truck will make me money in the over all run. I'm kinda bored with the Mustang and it doesn't have much room. If I was to sell the Mustang out right for cash I would not take a penny less the. 4k. And I might have a hard time with that price idk. [Then again I might struggle to get that price bc it's a v6 and is modded in such ways most wouldn't know anything about]

A truck is just a over all better deal for me. It will pretty much start making me money on the way home.
Here is a video of the Mustang - 03 mustang for sale: 03 mustang for sale - YouTube

Thanks bud!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
#8 missfire, tranny problems, if that is a currant photo there is no 5" lift in that truck. Not worth more than $1500 in my eye's. I forsee new heads, plenum gasket, rebuilt tranny. Was a comp test done? probably not.

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I dunno, a V6 Mustang isn't really worth that much, so I think an even trade might be okay. Yeah, the Ram will need worth, but it's also a more valuable vehicle.

Your call man.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
It's a $1500 truck thats it thats all, going to need work right away. His post says the stang is a $4000 car and he won't go below that, so he is losing $$ in the trade and then has to fix the truck. If it did not have the #8 miss and the tranny issue sure its worth more but not as it sits, its almost a parts truck.

OP
OP
R

rabidhorseracing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dunno, a V6 Mustang isn't really worth that much, so I think an even trade might be okay. Yeah, the Ram will need worth, but it's also a more valuable vehicle.

Your call man.

I would agree with you on the base model mustang not being worth that much. How ever this isn't a typical base mustang.....

Brand new speed star racing transmission - 2300$ with a 12k or 1 year warranty. - previous owner.

Everything I did.
Comps Cam - roush heads that have about 1200$ in work.
long tube headers - 250$
no egr.
no cats.
divorced duals.
High flow roush intake
cai.
tunner with free tunes for life $ 400$
in dash mini dvd player - cold as and hit heat
motor it's self has been bored - and reworked -Apr bolts.
everything is pretty much new on the car - motor -transfer - running gear.
The car it's self blue booked around 3500$ now that I've thought about it real hard I don't think I would take less then 5k. IV had offers off the street for 4500$.

The only thing this Mustang needed is visual details - paint and so on.
body is dang near perfect.

OP
OP
R

rabidhorseracing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a $1500 truck thats it thats all, going to need work right away. His post says the stang is a $4000 car and he won't go below that, so he is losing $$ in the trade and then has to fix the truck. If it did not have the #8 miss and the tranny issue sure its worth more but not as it sits, its almost a parts truck.

Kinda thinking the same way you are. I did like it tho. I rode nice...
I did not misfire or anything when driving - it opened up nicely - wondering if maybe it was a old code?

OP
OP
R

rabidhorseracing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
#8 missfire, tranny problems, if that is a currant photo there is no 5" lift in that truck. Not worth more than $1500 in my eye's. I forsee new heads, plenum gasket, rebuilt tranny. Was a comp test done? probably not.

There wear blocks be tween the rear end and the leaf springs that said 5''. Idk? Just assumed that is what it meant! May bad.

Why do you see heads? It had no running issue other then the transmission....
No smoke or anything. ....
I even did a block test and it passed.

I know these trucks wear bad about plenum gaskets and trans. I don't mind some wrenching. ....

The truck shows a blue book or 8500 give or take its Condition.

fifteenhundred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 230 hp V8
My ram used to belong to a states port authority. I'm rockin the roll-up windows. Passengers are amazed by this.

Besides the tune-up, I'd check the terminal ends and make sure they're clean and tight. I've read that the transmission draws a little bit of power from the battery during normal operation while the engines running. I had a friend who would struggle to get to 4th, he replaced the terminal ends, and it was the fix.

I know it's not always that simple. But I guess it's worth a look.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There wear blocks be tween the rear end and the leaf springs that said 5''. Idk? Just assumed that is what it meant! May bad.

Why do you see heads? It had no running issue other then the transmission....
No smoke or anything. ....
I even did a block test and it passed.

I know these trucks wear bad about plenum gaskets and trans. I don't mind some wrenching. ....

The truck shows a blue book or 8500 give or take its Condition.

I was going to say looks like rear has a block added, there is no lift in the front. Heads, easy one. Stock heads are very weak, and crack easily. You said she pulled the cats off, I bet it was because they were clogged from a blown plenum, not because it sounds good lol. Which if she left long enough could have cracked them, which will lead to problems down the road. Id do a compression test for sure.... Transmissions in these trucks SUCK, if its acting up at all just get ready to rebuild, which is taking more value off of it. I dont think youre getting a good deal at all swapping the car straight up for the truck. Its not an $8500 truck........ its a $1500 beater in my eyes. Merc is right its nearly a parts truck. If I were you id be wanting a couple grand along with the truck for your car. With that car you could get a way nicer truck, just take the time to search for the right one.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Johnn123 has it, only thing I will add is no cat con on my truck from day one and it still had four cracked heads/valve seats. Cat's do play a role in this yes but it comes down to thin cast heads. Jug #8 is the most susceptible I tell most to start with that jug when doing a comp test. Most get a reading of 80-120 psi and the rest of the jugs go up from there. If you pull the tranny to rebuild it no better time to pull the motor and go through it top to bottom.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Johnn123 has it, only thing I will add is no cat con on my truck from day one and it still had four cracked heads/valve seats. Cat's do play a role in this yes but it comes down to thin cast heads. Jug #8 is the most susceptible I tell most to start with that jug when doing a comp test. Most get a reading of 80-120 psi and the rest of the jugs go up from there. If you pull the tranny to rebuild it no better time to pull the motor and go through it top to bottom.

Right right I forgot you had ditched it day one. Shows just how terrible the casting is... Merc's right on, as usual, if youre pullin the trans to rebuild pull the motor go through top to bottom.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I would agree with you on the base model mustang not being worth that much. How ever this isn't a typical base mustang.....

Brand new speed star racing transmission - 2300$ with a 12k or 1 year warranty. - previous owner.

Everything I did.
Comps Cam - roush heads that have about 1200$ in work.
long tube headers - 250$
no egr.
no cats.
divorced duals.
High flow roush intake
cai.
tunner with free tunes for life $ 400$
in dash mini dvd player - cold as and hit heat
motor it's self has been bored - and reworked -Apr bolts.
everything is pretty much new on the car - motor -transfer - running gear.
The car it's self blue booked around 3500$ now that I've thought about it real hard I don't think I would take less then 5k. IV had offers off the street for 4500$.

The only thing this Mustang needed is visual details - paint and so on.
body is dang near perfect.
Now, I don't want you to feel like I'm ******* on your work, because I'm not, but I'm going to give you my take on it: You won't get near what you "think" it's worth. People will see a base model Mustang and will offer it as such. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

On the truck thing again...2500 max! :flipthebird: