99 V10 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Marksman

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
That seems to be what everyone else uses from my research. If you know, what model do you have?

What kind of tune is the one you have? Mpg/hp or? What do you charge for it?

Thanks!

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
That seems to be what everyone else uses from my research. If you know, what model do you have?

What kind of tune is the one you have? Mpg/hp or? What do you charge for it?

Thanks!

It's from a 98 Ram 2500 v10 4x4 and no I'd send you it for free. At work we have the software and can write them up. It's an aggressive tune for 91 but the tuner comes with some canned tunes aswell. The forums have Flyin Ryan as a tuner and you can lookup Hemifever!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I have marvel mystery oil, i guess i could pour a little into each cylinder. I'll have to disagree with you on the seafoam part, it's some amazing stuff. I have a bunch of carbureted cars that sit for months (sometimes years) at a time without being run, and when they do get started they often run bad-- a little seafoam eats the varnish and clears out the passages and they run good as new again. I've had engines with stuck lifters (my 85 Porsche 944 for example) that wouldn't free up. A couple of ounces in the crankcase freed them right up.

I'll have to get pics of the wrinkle, I didn't take any when I was at the truck (it's not at my house ATM) but i will get some soon. It doesn't look near as good as i'd hoped, but I was doing the swap alone in the middle of nowhere with basic tools so I wasn't able to do it as perfect as I would've liked. I had planned on doing the valve covers the same way, but they were too oily and I ran out of brake cleaner before I got to that part.

Rusty, I like seeing them too. I wish there were more out there.

EDIT: I guess I did take a picture of it. Not very good but you can tell that it's red.

Seafoam is really only good for removing water from fuel. Considering nearly all fuel contains ethanol anymore and that the alcohol attracts water when its left to sit for awhile it's not surprising you notice a difference. MMO is much better at removing varnish and as an additive.

Intake looks good! Nobody does anything with those trucks so it's nice to see

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Sct is the only one i would consider

It's from a 98 Ram 2500 v10 4x4 and no I'd send you it for free. At work we have the software and can write them up. It's an aggressive tune for 91 but the tuner comes with some canned tunes aswell. The forums have Flyin Ryan as a tuner and you can lookup Hemifever!

I have it as well but haven't done anything with it. Have you tuned your truck with it yet?

OP
OP
Marksman

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
I didn't know seafoam did anything to remove water. I've always used Heet for that. A few years ago they made a rule that we couldn't have ethanol free fuel anymore, which sucks. They tore down and are rebuilding the gas station at our Walmart and there's a sign outside that says "ethanol free fuel". I'll be buying my gas from there from now on.

I've read a lot about hemifever, seems like he knows what he's doing. I cant afford a tuner right now, but I should be able relatively soon. I have to focus on getting it driving before i do any of that, but I would still take the tune. I assume its just a file that you can email? I'll PM you my email if it is.

Thanks!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I didn't know seafoam did anything to remove water. I've always used Heet for that. A few years ago they made a rule that we couldn't have ethanol free fuel anymore, which sucks. They tore down and are rebuilding the gas station at our Walmart and there's a sign outside that says "ethanol free fuel". I'll be buying my gas from there from now on.

I've read a lot about hemifever, seems like he knows what he's doing. I cant afford a tuner right now, but I should be able relatively soon. I have to focus on getting it driving before i do any of that, but I would still take the tune. I assume its just a file that you can email? I'll PM you my email if it is.

Thanks!
Ryan is much better. Hemifever is only a sponsor here because 6 years ago he was the only one doing it. Ryan will make the same peak power or more while making 30 or more through the rest of the curve. Much better drivability and reliability

OP
OP
Marksman

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
Good to know.

Thanks!

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
I can give you a tune for free that will be decent since the price of tuner alone is almost $300. This is the best performance thing you can do and as cheap as a decent K&N CAI for these trucks which still sucks because our trucks have a factor CAI in front bumper... Also the throttle body spacer doesn't do us any good. So headers, tuner, gearing.. Just food for thought...

Sct is the only one i would consider

I have it as well but haven't done anything with it. Have you tuned your truck with it yet?

I tuned my truck with a tune that I wrote at work, we use SCT Advantage 3.. The tune is set aggresive on purpose. I added some timing, increased fuel plus evened out the torque curve (since it was set for fuel economy esp @ lower rpms even at WOT). Increased the speed limit for OD and removed a lot of torque management @ WOT. I love it, I rip tread early in 1st and soon as she shifts into 2nd. Although I'd give OP one of the milder tunes.

OP
OP
Marksman

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
Is this an emailable file?

OP
OP
Marksman

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
Lol alright, I figured it was. I was just making sure that I wouldn't have to send a tuner to you for you to load it on to or anything like that. I'll PM you my email.

Thanks!