AC Compressor delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
I'm in the process of cleaning out my engine bay and making it all look nice and presentable. My AC compressor is useless and dead weight, and I never need AC anyways in the summer. Is it possible to just remove it altogether and how would I go about doing that?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
I'm in the process of cleaning out my engine bay and making it all look nice and presentable. My AC compressor is useless and dead weight, and I never need AC anyways in the summer. Is it possible to just remove it altogether and how would I go about doing that?

You may be able to find what is called a "bypass pulley" on the web. Basically, it's a useless pulley on a basic steel mount that goes in place of the A/C compressor. I know it sounds ridiculous to put a pulley back in place of the compressor, but they look nicer than the bulky compressor and keeps you from having to modify belts or belt layout, etc.

OP
OP
bluwarguy

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
You may be able to find what is called a "bypass pulley" on the web. Basically, it's a useless pulley on a basic steel mount that goes in place of the A/C compressor. I know it sounds ridiculous to put a pulley back in place of the compressor, but they look nicer than the bulky compressor and keeps you from having to modify belts or belt layout, etc.

I've seen those, I'm thinking of getting one.
But once I do that is it fine to completely remove the compressor and everything else?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yep, you can just tear everything the hell out. I did this a couple years back when mine wasn't working and I wasn't interesting in servicing it (I never use AC anyway. I'm a shirt off, windows down guy). You'll need to cap the ports in the firewall. Also, DO NOT use a non-AC drive belt. AC and non-AC trucks use a different accessory bracket and I guarantee that the non-AC belt will be too short. I used a 90.5" belt, but after a few months, I found that it has too much slack and squeaks like hell. I've got an 89.5" belt on the way that I'm going to install this weekend.

In the end, the engine bay is MUCH roomier and with no condenser stuck on the front of the radiator, my engine runs a few degrees cooler.

Last edited:

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Don't forget.... your AC is also used every time you turn on your defrost. Serves 2 functions.
1, Dries out the air being blown on your windshield.
2, Helps the truck (or car) heat up faster with condenser/radiator contact.

OP
OP
bluwarguy

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
So will the Accumulator be safe to take out as well?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Do not run a bypass pulley. They have a documented history of grenading. 89.5" belt as mentioned above or I'll sell you my factory non-ac alternator bracket I'm not using that allows the factory non-ac belt.

Also on a totally unrelated note, I usually get on here via my phone. As such I can't see signatures. As I'm on a pc right now I see yours says you're running a MSD Blaster coil. Change that. Factory coil unless you've got an MSD box between the pcm and the coil. They have a history of bricking our PCMs because of voltage backfeed due to different resistance specifications.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
Do not run a bypass pulley. They have a documented history of grenading. 89.5" belt as mentioned above or I'll sell you my factory non-ac alternator bracket I'm not using that allows the factory non-ac belt.

Also on a totally unrelated note, I usually get on here via my phone. As such I can't see signatures. As I'm on a pc right now I see yours says you're running a MSD Blaster coil. Change that. Factory coil unless you've got an MSD box between the pcm and the coil. They have a history of bricking our PCMs because of voltage backfeed due to different resistance specifications.

I'm glad you mentioned about that MSD coil, because I was certainly planning on putting one into my truck. What's the deal with them?

OP
OP
bluwarguy

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8

What brand of ignition coil would you recommend?

OP
OP
bluwarguy

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
so, the AC compressor appears to have two hoses on top of it connected to it. What should I do about those?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If you're deleting it the correct answer is use a vacuum system to evacuate the refrigerant from the system. However, most just crack the bolt up top and let it vent to the atmosphere. I'm not going to suggest either way because one I'll be telling to you to do something wrong/slightly illegal and the other would make me a hypocrite

OP
OP
bluwarguy

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
so I'm safe to remove the condenser and accumulator as well? what are the steps i should take to removing those?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If you don't want AC, just deal with the refrigerant in whatever way you will, then when thats done just unbolt and secure those hoses to the fender well, i'd also seal the tubes with something. It doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough, cutting them only hurts you in the long run.

OP
OP
bluwarguy

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
had the refrigerant drained. when i remove the accumulator what should i use to plug up the holes that go into my firewall?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I used a couple of large vacuum caps. I noticed however that one of them is deteriorating so it'll have to be replaced soon. Maybe I can find a steel cap or something.