After a while if I shut off wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

babinuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, I have been trying to help my sister out with her truck, but I cant figure out the issue or issues? Not sure if they are separate or related:

Truck starts fine when cold. After driving a while, sometimes when the engine is shut offit wont start back up, and we have to wait for 30 mins to an hour.

Last week it happened so I removed a spark plug cable to check for spark and truck started!!!! I shut it off, reconnected, and guess what, wouldn't start. Had to disconnect and started again.

When we got home it did the same, and after a while it started with the plug reconnected.

Another issue, not sure if related, volt gauge will jump to 18, if I shut engine off and start back on, it goes away and back to bout 14

Battery: new
Alternator: checked ok

btw: I haven't checked volts with multimeter yet

any ideas please?

thanks all

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Does it crank fine when it doesnt wanna start? 2 things right away are crank sensor or coil. Can rule out coil with a multimeter too