Aftermarket torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Anyone here run a high-stall torque converter on their second gens? If so, I'm curious to know how much stall you're running and what your engine setup and gear ratios are and whether or not you'd do anything different.

As a bonus, anyone running one in a 4x4?

As a double bonus, anyone have any quarter mile slips?

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Unless you are running a highly modified race engine just for racing, a high stall TC is just flushing money down the toilet on a stock vehicle.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I think I posted a small writeup on here before about stall speed on torque converters.

In short, the higher the stall speed, the worse gas mileage you will get in non tq-lockup situations. Your 'at speed' acceleration might suffer if your engine revs past its power band due to the higher rpm difference allowed between transmission and engine.

The lower the stall speed, the opposite of the previous statement.

The only reasons to increase stall speed is to improve towing when regularly pulling near or above max GCWR where lots of stopping and going is common. In performance situations such as racing on courses with lots of tight turns and where max speed is low, or on short drag runs such as 1/4 mile. The desire of higher stall speed is increase in the RPM of an engine from at a stop when launching and when accelerating at low speeds. This allows the engine to remain in its power band which is usually above stock stall speeds.