Air filter and oil consumption??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlansford10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 V8 with 141,000 miles. Bought the truck with 133,000 miles and I'm the second owner. I've done 2 oil changes since I've bought it.. roughly around every 3500 miles.. the first time, oil level was a little low. I think this motor takes 5 quarts.. it drained about 4... the second time, I had replaced the air filter with an aftermarket cool air intake right after the first oil change. When I changed the oil the second time, it was very low. Only about 1 to 2 quarts were drained.. but I also noticed the tube that the CAI filter connects to, wasn't connected to the housing that's connected to the throttle body.. the clamps had come loose. Could all that air have caused so much oil consumption? I'm not noicinf white smoke from exhaust and there's no oil leaks.. there is also a slight exhaust leak from the muffler... but since that oil change, I've checked both CAI and oil dip stick about once a week and it's dropped just a little.. considering the oil change was about 1000-1500 miles ago. So could the disconnected CAI have caused all that oil consumption or am in losing it somewhere? Also the coolant isn't oily or anything.. please let me know,
nick

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Check the plenum thread thats stickied at the top of this board. Check cyl 7&8 spark plugs for signs of excessive oil. The tube you're talking about won't do anything if its unplugged, unless you have a plenum leak. Then it will increase oil consumption, by how much is dependant on how bad the plenum leak is.

Its about a 4-5 hour fix for someone with basic knowledge and tools. I did the plenum repair on my new 5.9 is about 1 hour, that was taking intakes off both my old 5.2 and new 5.9 and swapping the aluminum plate over to the new one.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
^^this guy knows. That should pretty well cover it.

Only a couple things I'd add.
1. Pb blast the intake bolts for a few days prior and try to start when it's still a little warm
2. Perfect time to do the cap rotor and wires whilst they're easy to get to