Almost Have It Solved!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Idk if you guys remember, but a while back i posted about a starting problem my truck was having. I took it to the local shop and they said it was losing fuel pressure after it was turned off. They told me it needed a fuel pump, so they put one in (didnt solve it), then they also did a filler neck bc the old one was rotted, and they did the O2 sensor after the cat (also didnt solve it). But Ive been noticing that when im starting the truck, i get the "check gages" light on my dash, and the "ABS" light, but they go away after the truck istarts up. Now my gauges are all normal and working fine, so idk what that lights about.

A couple days ago, i was jumping my dads T/A and noticed that when i rev the truck up, as it idles back down i can hear like an air leak coming from the master cylinder area. Im thinkin this is a vacuum leak which could be why my ABS light comes on, and possibly may be the answer to my starting issue. The problem I have though is that i cant find any vacuum line diagrams for the truck to be able to track the lines and find out where the leak is comin from. And I also have the Hanyes manual, but I couldnt find anything in there either..

MikesRammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Idk if you guys remember, but a while back i posted about a starting problem my truck was having. I took it to the local shop and they said it was losing fuel pressure after it was turned off. They told me it needed a fuel pump, so they put one in (didnt solve it), then they also did a filler neck bc the old one was rotted, and they did the O2 sensor after the cat (also didnt solve it). But Ive been noticing that when im starting the truck, i get the "check gages" light on my dash, and the "ABS" light, but they go away after the truck istarts up. Now my gauges are all normal and working fine, so idk what that lights about.

A couple days ago, i was jumping my dads T/A and noticed that when i rev the truck up, as it idles back down i can hear like an air leak coming from the master cylinder area. Im thinkin this is a vacuum leak which could be why my ABS light comes on, and possibly may be the answer to my starting issue. The problem I have though is that i cant find any vacuum line diagrams for the truck to be able to track the lines and find out where the leak is comin from. And I also have the Hanyes manual, but I couldnt find anything in there either..

Alright here is two things you can do. Get a can of carb cleaner and spray around the master cylinder and all vaccum connections then spray the manifold at the TB and where all the gaskets are. Your going to want to listen for any change in the idle. Now the second thing is to get a soapy water mixure and put it on the spots that you heard any kind of an idle change it will bubble up and that will give you the general location of a leak. Check your vaccum lines for any kind of rot, cut, or slit.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
could have leaking injectors. They might not be holding pressure

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
could have leaking injectors. They might not be holding pressure
I kinda thought about that too, but now that im finding out about this vacuum leak, im thinkin that could be the issue. When the temps cold outside, the truck starts right up with no problem. its only after it sits for more than 15 mins that it gives me a hard time...

Alright here is two things you can do. Get a can of carb cleaner and spray around the master cylinder and all vaccum connections then spray the manifold at the TB and where all the gaskets are. Your going to want to listen for any change in the idle. Now the second thing is to get a soapy water mixure and put it on the spots that you heard any kind of an idle change it will bubble up and that will give you the general location of a leak. Check your vaccum lines for any kind of rot, cut, or slit.
Thanks, ill have to give that a try maybe today after school...

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Another thing that I have heard about is that in the fuel line there is a regulator that will hold pressure at the rail. That may be something worth looking into. But not sure if we have on on our trucks.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
0996b43f8021b592.gif

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
When the temps cold outside, the truck starts right up with no problem. its only after it sits for more than 15 mins that it gives me a hard time...

EGR valve has something to due with cold starts. ???

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your CEL and ABS light should come on momentarily when you start your truck.
This is 100% normal.

You can get a replacement Hose, Grommet, and elbow from the dealer fairly cheap. Even if you don't 'need' it, you're not going to hurt anything by replacing it.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Your CEL and ABS light should come on momentarily when you start your truck.
This is 100% normal.

You can get a replacement Hose, Grommet, and elbow from the dealer fairly cheap. Even if you don't 'need' it, you're not going to hurt anything by replacing it.
yeah, they all come on when i first turn the key "ON" but then they go out and come on again as the keys turned in the "START" position when im trying to start the truck.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yeah, they all come on when i first turn the key "ON" but then they go out and come on again as the keys turned in the "START" position when im trying to start the truck.

I don't have a 2nd gen anymore, and truthfully, unless the light stayed on, never really cared about it. Does it chime at you too?

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I don't have a 2nd gen anymore, and truthfully, unless the light stayed on, never really cared about it. Does it chime at you too?
Yeah, but its just one chime. And its only when im starting the truck, once the truck starts up it goes away.