Another Blown Cat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blew the stock cat a few years ago on a sled trip. The shop replaced it with an "economy" cat. I did the plenum shortly thereafter.

Just back from a boat trip and she's rattling again like last time just before loss of power.

Would like to get another year out of this stock 98 5.9 Do I lose the cat, remove it and gut it or go with a new system and if so what do you all recommend? Don't want loud but a little more growl is fine.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Jegs sells and Offroad-Ypipe that is just straight pipe for not a whole lot of cash. Simple and easy.

Magnaflow sells really nice high quality stainless steel oem replacements.

Kind of personal preference there really. Stock truck I'd go with a cat myself but that's me. Others often disagree. I would suggest checking to make sure it's not just a heat shield or something stupid simple first though

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
When I first got my truck, it had this annoying rattle from underneath. Turned out to be a loose heat shield on the catalytic. Solution? Ripped that sucker off and tossed it in the bed, LOL.

I've got a Magnaflow cat on mine. Single in, single out. 3" diameter on both ends. Seems to be holding up well so far. Set me back $160 but it was exactly what I needed to switch from the OEM two in, one out cat. Just had to have a little y-pipe welded in to fit it to the main y.

Also, in case you're curious, removing the catalytic converter will not net you anything noticeable in power plus technically make your vehicle illegal. Also, you'll have a permanent CEL for "catalyst function below threshold." No real gains other than a few annoyances make ditching the cat not worth it in my book. Modern cats flow hugely better than the choke cans of the eighties. Aftermarkets (good, name brand ones) flow even better.

Last edited:

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you aren't up for welding and don't mind spending the extra cash on a "direct fit" then here you go.. I'm going to get that in the not too distant future and then get a catback system from Dynomax to replace my old rattle box under my truck.

OP
OP
David H

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the responses and the link.

I would suggest checking to make sure it's not just a heat shield or something stupid simple first though

Turned out to be a loose heat shield on the catalytic. Solution? Ripped that sucker off and tossed it in the bed, LOL.

The first time I heard that sound I thought, "Hmmm, sounds like a heat shield." 30 miles later I'm in a strange shop with a $600 bill and a new cat.

Crawled under the truck the other day to compare what I have with on-line replacement parts and...you guessed it, heat shield on the cat was just hanging there. Ha!

Thanks again.