Auto to manual transmission swap 3.9 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamVan99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everybody,
Brand new to this forum, and maybe slightly out of place (posting regarding my 99 Ram VAN, not pickup). Hoping I could get some advice. I have a 99 Ram Van 3.9 as stated above, and I want to swap a 5 speed manual trans for my 3 speed sluggomatic. I know this is an absurd project on such a vehicle and definitely not worth the time/financial input but I really like the van and use it as my work truck and would really like to make it manual.
Here's my inquiry: I know there is a manual option for the 3.9 Ram pickup. Would I be able to bolt that trans and flywheel straight to my 3.9, or would there be much more involved? Also would I have big problems with driveshaft length, rear trans mount, speedometer accuracy etc.? I already know I will have to cut a hole in the floor behind the doghouse for a floor shifter and deal with the clutch pedal/master cylinder placement. Any info, advice or previous experience anybody has on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading everybody!

quadcab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Should bolt right up. You will probably have to have the driveshaft shortened or lengthened.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk now Free

OP
OP
R

RamVan99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the input Quadcab. Do you know the 5 speed transmission code that came with the 2wd 3.9 pickups? Is it the NV4500 just like the V8 models? Just trying to figure this out so I can find a trans and the parts I need.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the input Quadcab. Do you know the 5 speed transmission code that came with the 2wd 3.9 pickups? Is it the NV4500 just like the V8 models? Just trying to figure this out so I can find a trans and the parts I need.

Most likely NV3500. Don't quote me though :p

OP
OP
R

RamVan99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the NV3500 also a GM transmission? I am finding some on ebay that claim to be for a GM pickup OR a Dodge, which I find a little hard to believe, although not inconceivable.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm not sure, probably different connections to the motor. I do recall reading something like that though, that dodge and gm both use it. Found this on wikipedia, according to it they don't interchange. Can anyone confirm this?

Paulquinn83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 3.9
Hey Ramvan99

Hey there I just came across your post and was wondering if you did your transmission swap?
I have a 2003 ram van 1500 with the same 3.9
I'm from Ireland and can't stand that everything here in the states is automatic.
So I started doing some research on swapping my transmission to manual.
I found out that the late 70's 2nd gen vans came with the option of 3 or 4 speed manual. So I figure I could get my hands on one from a junk yard and get the peddle assembly and floor shifter and get a new or recon tranny. Did you have any hassle with the drive shaft or exhaust? I also want to put a LSD in to improve traction.