Automatic to manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What exactly does one have to do to swap a 46re tranny with a 5-speed? Like, does one have to do anything special to swap in a clutch pedal? The shifter? Is it as simple as knocking out a spot-welded plate in the middle of the tranny section of the floor pan?

Mainly, what the hell model of 5-speed do our trucks even use? I'm guessing one of those NV-series trannies but what bolts up to our engines? Would an old-school A-833 4-speed bolt up?

If my rebuilt auto ever blows up again, a manual swap is something that I'd be interested in doing but I don't know a whole lot about doing such a thing. Perhaps there's a good write-up somewhere of doing such a swap?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The NV3500s were standard in the 1500s, but they are kind of weak and you have to be sure to get the Dodge version as Chevy also used that same transmission. Another option is to put an NV4500 in and it doesn't matter Chevy or Dodge as the NV4500 has a removeable bellhousing.

As far as the conversion, I think there is just a plate you need to pop out, otherwise cutting a hole is pretty easy. The pedals all need to be replaced as they are an assembly and the clutch pedal cannot be added in separately.

You'll need a ***** cylinder, likely a driveshaft from a manual, a program for the PCM unless you don't mind a check engine light all the time. You'll also need a new transmission mount (not the crossmember, just the mount). You'll have to re-reoute the wiring from the neutral safety switch to the clutch safety switch. Also, might as well get a new clutch since it will never be easier to replace.

I'm sure I forgot something, but thats the basics.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Jbmobbs has done it and can offer better more direct information. Doesnt really post much anymore but I'm sure you could message him. Hell i met up with him just yesterday and chat with him regularly

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963