Average Oil Pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhumboldt12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've got a 98 Ram with the 5.9 Magnum, and was wondering what the typical oil pressure should be, when cold idling, cold moving, warm idling, and warm moving? Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
For all the decent engines i've seen, both 5.9 and 5.2, cold start idle should be anywhere from 40-60 same while driving. I've never gone above 3krpm while cold so I don't know what that would be. When its warm, it really depends on the state of your engine. Anywhere from 30-60 is just fine for warmed up operation. If its dropping to 20 or below at idle, you have a problem. Likely a main bearing is getting loose and its time for a rebuild. Or there is the off chance someone put WAY too thin an oil in for the temperature its operating in. Like a really thin winter weight oil used in the northern states and canada when you're down in texas might do it. Keyword, might. Usually low oil pressure is due to one of three things. Bad oil pump, worn bearings, or contaminated/oil past its service life.

OP
OP
D

dhumboldt12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
For all the decent engines i've seen, both 5.9 and 5.2, cold start idle should be anywhere from 40-60 same while driving. I've never gone above 3krpm while cold so I don't know what that would be. When its warm, it really depends on the state of your engine. Anywhere from 30-60 is just fine for warmed up operation. If its dropping to 20 or below at idle, you have a problem. Likely a main bearing is getting loose and its time for a rebuild. Or there is the off chance someone put WAY too thin an oil in for the temperature its operating in. Like a really thin winter weight oil used in the northern states and canada when you're down in texas might do it. Keyword, might. Usually low oil pressure is due to one of three things. Bad oil pump, worn bearings, or contaminated/oil past its service life.
Awesome reply. Thanks do much.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk