Bad iac symtoms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
So my truck keeps stalling when I come to a stop. It will start right back up if I give it a little bit fuel pedal. Wondering what goes wrong with the IAC. 5.2 auto.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
IAC comes into play at idle. At idle the throttle blades are completely closed and the IAC opens to allow some air into the engine. Your issue it's POSSIBLE that when coming to a stop the IAC is sticking and not opening when the throttle blades close, choking out the engine. However it could also be the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the driverside of the throttle body. The TPS reads throttle input to assist in fuel requirements and timing. If it's not recognizing a fully closed throttle it can kill the vehicle by not switching to the IAC.

I would lean towards IAC myself but if that checks out, TPS would be the next place to look

OP
OP
G

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
Thank you. That's why I come here. Always get good advice.

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had to do it on my r/t ram, it's cheap and super easy. It idles better but not perfect. I think it's the nature of the magnum motor.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the same issue with my 97 with the 360.
I ended up changing the iac for the fix . My intake plenum was all gummed up pretty bad (contributing factor ) and lots of carbon buildup on the blade & throttle body.
The iac was the fix but the truck ran much better overall once I cleaned he plenum & throttle body.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
I had to do it on my r/t ram, it's cheap and super easy. It idles better but not perfect. I think it's the nature of the magnum motor.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Must be that big cam that ma mopar installs in these engines :happy107: