Bad performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98ram5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Hey guys i have a 98 dodge ram 5.2 magnum and im having a problem with it , it lacks alot power and when about in 3rd or 4th gear you can hear the engine just lose its power , i can step on it and it wont pick up , ive already gutted out the cats , put a new muffler , changed sparkplugs and wires , changed air fliter , i took down my transmission and changed the seals , clutches , band , and installed a heavy duty converter , i have also checked compression and fuel pressure on it and it seems good , cant be timing because the computer controls the ignition timing , i can not seem to find the problem, does anybody have an idea?

Last edited:
OP
OP

98ram5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
My truck doesnt show any of the symptoms to a bad plemun gasket tho. Could that still be the issue? , you think since i gutted out my cat it could have lost power to?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I doubt that a gutted cat would make much of a difference performance-wise either way. If you gutted it because it was plugged however, consider the fact that there may be a reason why it clogged to begin with. Cats don't last forever but burning oil kills them very quickly.

If there's one thing that I've learned about these trucks, they simply just aren't fast with factory induction. Low-end grunt is what it's all about. Even with my tune, the power still feels near it's plateau at 3,000 RPM which seems about right since peak torque is only a couple hundred RPM away.

OP
OP

98ram5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I get that these trucks arnt fast. Only pushes about 200 horsepower still the truck should not feel this weak with what i have done to it. It still shouldnt feel like the power just dies in about 3rd 4th gear. There has to be something wrong.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Is there a significant difference in performance if you punch it with the overdrive off? In these trucks, as soon as overdrive kicks in, acceleration resembles absolutely nothing that even closely resembles performance. That probably holds true however in pretty much any overdrive-transmission equipped vehicle. Overdrive has it's benefits but acceleration is definitely not one of them, LOL.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Lack of cast on an otherwise stock truck, especially with a free flow muffler will 100% negatively affect performance. Too much flow capacity vs scavenging capability as well as skewed a/f ratio.

I would start with plenum and tuneup. Lack of power is the first symptom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956