Bad Radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
Hello guys,

So just yesterday I noticed the temperature in my truck go up to about 200-210 degrees. I drive it everyday to school and back (about 4 miles round trip) and it's always sat comfortably around 180-190. I didn't think much about it, as it was kind of warm outside (80) and I had let the truck idle for about 15 minutes. Well, I came and got it in a few hours later, and the temp gauge shot up to 210 really quickly. I pulled over off the highway and did a short look over, and I found a small, pinhole sized leak near the top of the radiator where the plastic tank meets the aluminum. I checked my water level, and it was low, so I just added plain water for the time being and filled up the reserve bottle as well.

My question is, what should I do from here? Should I just go on ahead and spend the $150 on a replacement radiator and associated parts? Or should I milk this one as far as a I can and possibly try to JB Weld the pinhole.

If I replace the radiator, which one do I need to get? I have a 1998 Ram with the 3.9 V6 with the auto transmission.

Thanks,
Brandon

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would suggest just getting a new one. Any piece from Advance, Oreillys, Autozone, Rockauto, Napa. Any replacement, shop around find the best deal

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
I would suggest just getting a new one. Any piece from Advance, Oreillys, Autozone, Rockauto, Napa. Any replacement, shop around find the best deal

I probably am gonna just go that route. I need to get a new overflow bottle as well, I cracked the very top of mine this morning trying to get the cap off. While I'm there, might replace the thermostat as well. Anybody know anything about the 180 degree part from Hughes Engines? Or is this something that should wait until I replace my plenum pan and gasket in December?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The thermostat is kind of a pain to get to. You either have to loosen the accessory bracket that holds the alternator and AC compressor, or you can fight around them. The thermostat is wedged between the Alternator, AC compressor and intake.

As far as temperatures go, there is no reason to go lower than 180 on any stock engine. If you live where it gets cold in the winter, you'll want to stick with the 190 or 195 T-stat, you wouldn't think it'd make much a difference, but trust me, it does.

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
The thermostat is kind of a pain to get to. You either have to loosen the accessory bracket that holds the alternator and AC compressor, or you can fight around them. The thermostat is wedged between the Alternator, AC compressor and intake.

As far as temperatures go, there is no reason to go lower than 180 on any stock engine. If you live where it gets cold in the winter, you'll want to stick with the 190 or 195 T-stat, you wouldn't think it'd make much a difference, but trust me, it does.

Thanks for the input. I live in central Mississippi, so our winters may be anywhere from 20 degrees in the day to 80 degrees in the day. I may just leave the thermostat until I do the plenum job this winter.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Rockauto $80-$92 for your radiator.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Dropped $150 for my radiator a few weeks back at O'Reilly's. The old one blew on Friday after my beer run and I don't have a backup vehicle, so I didn't have time to wait on mail order.

It's actually a pretty nice piece, however the upper transmission cooler line is in a slightly different spot than the OEM. It was just enough to where I couldn't line up the cooler line. I was planning some goofy ass plumbing extensions and stuff before I realized that I could just simply bend the sucker a little bit to make it fit.

From what I've read, general consensus is that a cooler thermostat doesn't really offer any improvements on these engines. It might help with pinging but if your engine is pinging anyway, you've got problems other than the operating temperature. I've had the plenum repaired and am running a 91-octane tune and there isn't a pop to be heard even under heavy throttle uphill in overdrive.

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
Dropped $150 for my radiator a few weeks back at O'Reilly's. The old one blew on Friday after my beer run and I don't have a backup vehicle, so I didn't have time to wait on mail order.

It's actually a pretty nice piece, however the upper transmission cooler line is in a slightly different spot than the OEM. It was just enough to where I couldn't line up the cooler line. I was planning some goofy ass plumbing extensions and stuff before I realized that I could just simply bend the sucker a little bit to make it fit.

From what I've read, general consensus is that a cooler thermostat doesn't really offer any improvements on these engines. It might help with pinging but if your engine is pinging anyway, you've got problems other than the operating temperature. I've had the plenum repaired and am running a 91-octane tune and there isn't a pop to be heard even under heavy throttle uphill in overdrive.

Thanks for the info. So next week I'm going to replace the radiator and add a transmission cooler while I'm there at the front of the truck. Any tips I need to know for plumbing that up?

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Get a new radiator cap while you are at it.