Balancing a 360 magnum, advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
I have a 360 magnum sourced from a '99 durango

I know 360 magnums are externally balanced,
So I have the flexplate from the engine I got at the local wrecking yard, and you can see the flexplate is balanced:
dnRkO.jpg

The engine is going into my 1984 dodge power ram, and I'm going to be using the V-belt setup, not the stock serpentine. So if I use this harmonic dampener:
Pro Products Street Dampener for Small Block Mopar - scramspeed

With a neutral balanced torque converter, will everything be balanced correctly?

Balanced flexplate and harmonic dampener, with a neutrally balanced crank and torque converter. This is correct yes? I just want to be 100% sure

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You know Dave....................................over at Hughes

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Im fairly certain the neutral balance converters are 90 degree pads and balanced are offset so a neutral converter will require 1 hole to be oversized. Unsure on the rest but just out of curiosity why not retain the serp system?

OP
OP
D

Dodge1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Im fairly certain the neutral balance converters are 90 degree pads and balanced are offset so a neutral converter will require 1 hole to be oversized. Unsure on the rest but just out of curiosity why not retain the serp system?

I read that you'll need to make one of the holes larger, and the magnum is going into an 84' dodge ram, in my opinion it would look stupid with serpentine belts. The old timing cover and waterpump are direct bolt on so it's not that hard to convert it to the v-belt setup

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
OK just curious. And are you going to retain the tf727?

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
And a side note I have a non balanced tc behind my 59 and it still runs smooth. As far as the balancer if it where me I'd pop the crank out and have it balanced and polished toss in new bearings and run a traditional balancer.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Me I would just keep the serpentine system, that would solve it all. Q have you tried the V pulley on the magnum HB, Have you looked at aftermarket V pulley's?

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Me I would just keep the serpentine system, that would solve it all. Q have you tried the V pulley on the magnum HB, Have you looked at aftermarket V pulley's?
That would be my first choice as well but to each his own I guess

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I follow the KISS rule as best I can. Your are right to each his own thats why I asked if he had tired/looked into the last two things I suggested.

OP
OP
D

Dodge1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2

I'm trying to make the engine look as original as possible for an 84 dodge power ram, so I personally don't want the serp. And you guys know a lot more than I do, I'm not an expert by any means, I'm just following basically everything this website says: Magnumswap.com - Your source for Dodge Magnum and Mopar engine swap tech.
I actually never thought about balancing the crank before, but in the end it's probably going to cost the same because I'm getting a new tc anyway and if I'd balance the crank then I'd have to get another flexplate, unless you can just knock the weight off, Idk
I think I'm just going to stick with getting a neutral balanced tc and have the weights on the flexplate and dampener
I wanna thank you guys for your help though, and here's a picture of the truck if you guys were curious
8TbWF.jpg

I did buy a bed off of an 87 dodge to put on it, and all the body work will be done and painted, but not for awhile