battery guage reading 18 volts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
OK so Saturday the check gauge light came on and the battery volts started to rise form there normal 14 volts all the way up to 18 volts and stayed pegged there for about 5min then the dropped back down to 14 volts. i drove for another 2 hours it didn't happen again

last night on the way home it did this same thing 3 times first time for about 10 mins second time for about 15 min and the last time it was for about 30 mins

could the alternator be going bad
i know the normally just stop charging but do they have a voltage regulator on them that could of gone bad

any thoughts
the battery is brand new

OP
OP
D

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
bump

really need some help here

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You could take the truck by a parts store and have them check it for you on the truck. Most of the time when a regulator goes out it will under charge but I've seen a few do what yours is doing

If you can catch it next time it does it, check the output at the battery and see what it's reading

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
This ^

I have seen them overcharge and the cause was the alt

OP
OP
D

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
thanks guys
i will be stopping home and grabbing my tools since the wife made me take them all out of the truck and be heading to advance after work

OP
OP
D

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
so i went and had it all check and it tested perfect (it was not acting up a the time)
and with every thing i have read that dodge has the voltage regulator in the pcm/ecu
to me it dose not make any sense
so i came up with a fix since there is plenty of room under the hood i should be able to just buy an alternator with a built in voltage regulator and just make a bracket to mount it and add a longer belt

or i also found this
Chrysler Dodge & Jeep Alternator ECU External Voltage Regulator Bypass

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Could be alt, care, ******* 18v can pop some electrical in your truck....

OP
OP
D

DOAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
nope has not acted up agin just those two day on that trip
i have not had it on a long drive since then i drive under 5 miles a day round trip to work

VanConversion

Reaction score
Ram Year
My 2000 Dodge van is doing the same thing. While driving the check gauges light comes on and then you see the voltage gauge climb from in range (around 14V) to pinned at top of the range, 18V. It will stay this way for a while, but the. Drops back in range and the check gauge light turns off. It seems to come back in range quicker if I let if the gas, but right now I’m pulled over and it has stayed at 18V whike in park long enough for me to check the battery and write this post! Battery across positive and negative with a volt meter reads 15.01V and later 14.87V. Vehicle drives normal whether reading high voltage or not. Battery is not new, but tests fine. Any help? Next thing to try?