Best Budget Build Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramchrisfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So I was wondering if you guys would be able to guide me, at least into the ideas or thinking of what I should do for my goals.

I'm shooting for a budget build in the 300-350fwhp range. I'm more about budget than the 350 mark and it's gonna be a daily running on pump gas...and 87 octane would be best but if the build calls for 93...so be it. Would like to stick with factory compression.

Installation will not be an issue, just polishing and porting the heads/intake will have to be done by someone else...in fact I would like to avoid that all together.

I suppose head selction and head work, intake selection/work and cam selection would be what I have no idea where to start looking. I kind of want to start getting parts together so I can actually start doing this build.

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The simple fact is that there is no such thing as a "budget build". You either put the money into it or you don't. If you want horsepower then be prepared to pay for horsepower.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^This guy knows what's up.

If you did a fresh rebuild with some go fast parts, you could get into the 300-325 range easy.....but it still isn't cheap.

OP
OP
R

ramchrisfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Understood, just wondering best bang for buck build. I know with this limited aftermarket it's not going to be cheap. I'm looking for a mild setup for the best bang for the buck. Would Iron Ram heads be the ticket? I'm trying to get an idea what components would be better for a lower budget. If 285-300hp would be more realistic thats cool too. I just dont want to over pay for any of the parts I'm gonna get if I don't have to. Just wondering what works for yall and what would be a mistake. I would probably avoid getting a CAI and just throw a k&N filter in there....and I can use a catback from an ss/t vehicle. As far as heads/intake combo...what should I be looking for my needs? Also what kind of headers should I get?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Make sure all tune up parts are up to *****, so plugs, wires, cap/rotor, wires router per the TSB I've got floating on my machine somewhere......and O2 sensors.

Actually...scratch that....start out with a compression test. That will tell you if you can even bother with building on it or not.

After that do the tune up stuff I said.
-Then 52mm throttle body
-Plenum fix with kegger mod
-Off road y-pipe with universal cat
-New O2 sensor (pre-cat)
-Mopar Performance PCM or possibly SCT tuner from Hemifever
-If your heads are okay, use those til they pop, if not, your compression test will tell you
-For new heads, Odessa/Clearwater Iron Rams are good and cheaper than Hughes.
-Harland Sharp 1.7. ratio roller rockers for that mild cam bump
-Junkyard special e-fan to take the stress off the water pump
-New timing set, since you'll have the intake out
-Hell, throw a new water pump on it too

SS/T exhaust isn't anything special. If you ran an off road y-pipe into a single 3inch exhaust, you'd be way better off. Especially if you ran a Magnaflow-style muffler.

OP
OP
R

ramchrisfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
what about headers? I know that's a $700 mod but wouldn't that allow the motor to breath a bit? And I think I could get an intake manifold as well, I want to get rid of all the bottlenecks in this motor. Slowly but surely. I have been meaning to do a compression test, but I need someone to crank it for me, so that's an issue right now. I'll probably want a fresh rebuild when I do this "build" as well...so this isn't gonna happen overnight, but I definitely like those ideas and will definitely take those into account.

OP
OP
R

ramchrisfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Is there a website for odessa/clearwater? Couldn't be sure if I found them on google.

OP
OP
R

ramchrisfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That's very near where I live. Thought it was too good to be true when I did my search.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
If you're in Florida, why would you even worry about a cat, or those cat back systems? If you truly don't want to bottleneck a magnum engine, let it breathe by installing a decent set of headers, and true duals, using 2" pipe and either no mufflers or cats (if you like it loud), or chamberless straight through mufflers and no cats, (such as glasspacks or magnaflow straight thru's) . Don't believe all the hype you hear these days about using great big pipe, all that does is slow the flow of your exhaust as the gasses expand and cool in the pipes/muffler. For mild applications up to say 350 hp or so, 2" pipe will provide enough flow, plus force the gasses through the pipes fast enough to create a scavenging effect on the cylinders. I used JBA shorties on mine, cause i offroad a lot and wanted to use the stock headpipes to route both exhausts in the space under the floor where the stock single used to be for best clearance. I've heard a lot of people say they found longtube headers to fit their second gen rams, those would be cheaper and even easier to set up true duals with. I'd want to go with a mopar M1 intake manifold, a 50mm throttle body, Odessa/clearwater iron ram heads, MSD ignition, and SCT tuner. These would work together to create a modest power increase without breaking the bank. I currently have the MSD ignition system, headers and straight pipe true duals, ram air cold air intake system, custom tune, and heavy duty suspension upgrades on my ram. I'd like to put an M1 and a set of heads on in the future, and maybe a performance cam.
Dave

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're in Florida, why would you even worry about a cat, or those cat back systems? If you truly don't want to bottleneck a magnum engine, let it breathe by installing a decent set of headers, and true duals, using 2" pipe and either no mufflers or cats (if you like it loud), or chamberless straight through mufflers and no cats, (such as glasspacks or magnaflow straight thru's) . Don't believe all the hype you hear these days about using great big pipe, all that does is slow the flow of your exhaust as the gasses expand and cool in the pipes/muffler. For mild applications up to say 350 hp or so, 2" pipe will provide enough flow, plus force the gasses through the pipes fast enough to create a scavenging effect on the cylinders. I used JBA shorties on mine, cause i offroad a lot and wanted to use the stock headpipes to route both exhausts in the space under the floor where the stock single used to be for best clearance. I've heard a lot of people say they found longtube headers to fit their second gen rams, those would be cheaper and even easier to set up true duals with. I'd want to go with a mopar M1 intake manifold, a 50mm throttle body, Odessa/clearwater iron ram heads, MSD ignition, and SCT tuner. These would work together to create a modest power increase without breaking the bank. I currently have the MSD ignition system, headers and straight pipe true duals, ram air cold air intake system, custom tune, and heavy duty suspension upgrades on my ram. I'd like to put an M1 and a set of heads on in the future, and maybe a performance cam.
Dave

Aren't true duals with no cats bad for low end due to the lack of back pressure? Or is that a myth?

OP
OP
R

ramchrisfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I was stationed in SD, Ca for 8 years and am conditioned with the whole smog legal CARB thing, and well some laws that start in CA...end up everywhere else eventually. Only a matter of time. But I will definitely go with that consensus. I might as well take advantage of no smog out here while I have the chance before it's too late. Not into loud, just performance and I would never get too much pipe for a stock engine or non built motor, I at least know that. Definitely some good tips guys...I think I see my path now and know what to get....also gonna go with the M1...I do not want any headaches with the hughes intake...sounds like a nightmare!

OP
OP
R

ramchrisfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
BTW, the only knowledge I know about headers is that LT headers allow for better breathing over shortys...so what are the benefits of shortys? The fit? Do they have different benefits at different points in the power band? Then there is the question of equal length?

So from what I've read....if my usual driving habits are under 5500rpm...I should go with shorty's on a mild build. What do you guys think?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Shorties are good for mildly built engines, long tubes are better for built engines.

That being said, Merc225hp has Gibson shorties on his built 360, but he also has GIBSON shorties. lol