Best Tune Up 318

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Finally got the money saved up for the plenum fix and complete tune up. I'm curious if you guys have any suggestions for brands, and types of tune up parts and such? I was looking at the Accel Super Tune Up kit that Hughes offers, but wasn't sure on the quality? Also what O2 sensor do I need/should use?

Accel Super Tune Up Kit

And is there a way I could get red wires too? If not, it's not a big deal, but would be cool if I could?

Thanks for the suggestions in advance! :favorites13:

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I've never gotten the kit, but the last tune up I did consisted of basically the same parts. I find it's a good kit if your out of date on a tune up. Gained a little on the mpg side, and helped even out my rough idle. Idk about O2 censors, I went back with the stock ones.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I have the Accel Cap & Rotor, no problems so far. For spark plugs I run Champion RC12YCs and Summit Racing brand 8.5mm wires. I was told to include a replacement PCV valve in my tune-up routine and to make sure its Mopar because supposedly the aftermarket ones are crap. You can go to the dealer but I found that Amazon sells the correct Mopar one. For O2 sensors (which I gotta do) I remember reading that our trucks only like 2 brands or something like that. I'm pretty sure NTK was one of them, but the other I can't recall. Don't forget fluids: engine, tranny+transf, diffs, and most importantly blinker. Include filters as well. That's what comes to mind.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
You know, I sent my ex wife for blinker fluid once, and the ******** at autozone gave her a bs store about how it was discontinued.

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Thank you Tommyboi for the advice.

I have the Accel Cap & Rotor, no problems so far. For spark plugs I run Champion RC12YCs and Summit Racing brand 8.5mm wires. I was told to include a replacement PCV valve in my tune-up routine and to make sure its Mopar because supposedly the aftermarket ones are crap. You can go to the dealer but I found that Amazon sells the correct Mopar one. For O2 sensors (which I gotta do) I remember reading that our trucks only like 2 brands or something like that. I'm pretty sure NTK was one of them, but the other I can't recall. Don't forget fluids: engine, tranny+transf, diffs, and most importantly blinker. Include filters as well. That's what comes to mind.

Ok, I will keep that in mind. The oil change is coming up in about 1500 miles, so I'll have to do that, and I'm looking at doing a tranny flush in the near future as well.

And blinker fluid, haha. Better remember muffler bearings too. :roflsquared:

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Oh yeah, another question on the plug wires specifically. Should I opt for the 8.5 mm wires, or will the 8 mm ones work just as good? This will never be a drag-strip engine, but eventually might get a cam and such. But currently it is my daily driver

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I've never fully understood the wire diameter. Most people I have seen go for the bigger ones though.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Bigger wires aren't necessarily better. Large diameter wires have a thicker jacket that provides better insulation and is more durable. That doesn't mean go out and buy some cheapie 8.5mms. Quality is better than quantity, or thickness whichever. Resistance is what you want to look for. Performance wires like MSD and NGK are better by wire design, not jacket thickness. Look for quality, then thickness.

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Well, the reason why I ask is because I've ditched the Accel tune up kit, and am building one on my own. I can get better parts cheaper this way.

I'm stuck between these two items:

Amazon.com: Taylor Cable 74276 Spiro-Pro Red Spark Plug Wire Set: Automotive

Amazon.com: Taylor Cable 84276 ThunderVolt 8.2 Spark Plug Wire Set: Automotive

The second one is bigger with much less resistance in the wires. The other ones "eliminate radio frequency interference", so I was thinking they might not interfere with my CB too much? And is the brand any good?

Or am I just overthinking this, and should just buy the bigger one of the two?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm running Bosch wires with the TSB wire routing and mine is fine.

So....here is what I have: Accel cap and rotor, Bosch wires, Champion RC12LC4 plugs (stock for 98+ trucks, you'll need RC12YC) and a Mopar dealer PCV valve.

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Finally decided on all of my parts, and they are all here.

Hughes Engines Plenum Repair Kit
Water Pump Inlet Tube
MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires
MSD Blaster Coil PN8228
JEGS High Performance Cap and Rotor
Bosch SuperPlus 7927 Plugs
PCV Grommet (Still have to run to Dodge to get a good PCV valve)
Spectre Wire Seperators

Should be installing them this weekend along with a modded keg intake. But I'm running into an issue before cutting on it, so I'm going to figure that out on the Keggar Mod thread.

Will post pics of install (if I remember) and final product. Can't wait to fix that plenum! :D

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
They are copper. After researching a bunch of pages, and all of you guy's advice, I figured out copper was the best for this engine.

Chris828

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Finally decided on all of my parts, and they are all here.

Hughes Engines Plenum Repair Kit
Water Pump Inlet Tube
MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires
MSD Blaster Coil PN8228
JEGS High Performance Cap and Rotor
Bosch SuperPlus 7927 Plugs
PCV Grommet (Still have to run to Dodge to get a good PCV valve)
Spectre Wire Seperators

Should be installing them this weekend along with a modded keg intake. But I'm running into an issue before cutting on it, so I'm going to figure that out on the Keggar Mod thread.

Will post pics of install (if I remember) and final product. Can't wait to fix that plenum! :D
Apologies for posting on an old thread but how are the plugs, wires, and coil treating you? Looking to do something similar myself. Any noticeable power/mpg gains? Thanks!

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
It's been good, not anything wild for power gains. I just think it was due for a tune up. That was about 30,000 miles ago, and I think I'll pull the plugs and check them pretty soon.

I need to do the Plenum fix again though... Really gripes me, but I was 16 and didn't know what I was doing back then, so I guess it's not a big deal

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
I feel like if the engine had some mods, then the coil, etc would've been noticable, but on a stock engine, doesn't make a big difference

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
More Information for UNITED MOTOR PRODUCTS 17815

That's the set that I'm running at the moment. One year in, no problems. I rerouted the wires per the TSB. Using plain ole' RC12YC plugs with the original coil. I've given thought to a hotter coil however I have read that these can grill the ECU due to voltage backfeed or something. I haven't researched it yet but I imagine that someone here can explain this.

Ryan recommends NGK BKR6 spark plugs with his canned tunes which I haven't tried. I might look for a set later this year when I do my annual plug change.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Skip the accell stuff. Only thing worth a damn is their cap and rotor and only because they're brass. You can get the same quality there from summit. Wires plugs and coil all suck. Not a fan of Taylor wires either. Myself, MSD Superconductors or FireCore wires, ONLY run a factory coil the aftermarkets die early and often kill sensors, NGK or a factory equivalent plug