Best tuners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rammythe2ndgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I have a 2000 ram 1500 with the 5.2 I've done throttle body work,headers, dual exhaust and removed o2 sensors I have one o2 **** but that has my a/f guage in it. I was wondering what tuner to go with for best performance as well as gain a little mpg. Or even take it to a local dyno and have it tuned professional.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
First off, why would you get rid of the O2 sensors? You do know that removing those will kill your already poor gas mileage. Any tuner will tell you to put those right back in, or put a/f sensors in there.

No need to go to a dyno, everything you've done is bolt on, its still basically stock. There are two major people who tune these trucks. HemiFever, and Flyin Ryan. Hemifever has ok tunes, but they are lacking in some areas. Flyin Ryan is basically a professional tuner, I doubt anyone knows how to better tune a Magnum engine than him.

Things to consider if you want more power. Get rid of that crappy kegger intake, the thing is crappy flow wise. There are a couple intakes that will make some nice improvements and really make a tune sing, you just gotta dig around for them. The M1 is generally the favorite around here, but finding them is impossible, and expensive. edelbrock air gap is the next one i'd go with, Hughes engine parts are crap, except the plenum repair kit (you have done that right?) but a felpro gasket and new plenum bolts fix the problem for a lot less money. The stock heads are also kind of crappy, they crack between valves, thats a guarantee, if you have low compression, thats likely the reason, and they don't flow well. Decent headers and intake can help, but the best racing headers and intakes in the world wont make much power on these heads.

Those are things to consider as you go forward. I mentioned it earlier, if you haven't done the plenum fix, do it now. Ryan basically won't talk to you if you havent fixed the plenum.

Reactions: Mop

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Cleaned up factory or larger than factory tb? Whats your exhaust setup, in detail? REINSTALL UPSTREAM 02. Upstream is a vital part of a/f management. Without it you're in permanent open loop and no tuner will mess with you.

As for your original question, frptuning.com to get a canned sct tune from Ryan. It's a fully custom tune based on heavy testing with completely stock to full bolt-on trucks. Designed on a dyno for full bolt-ons then dialed back a ****-hair to work on 99.99% of trucks without any misfires or anything like that

OP
OP
Rammythe2ndgen

Rammythe2ndgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My current set up is pacesetter headers to 2.5" pipe to electric dumps and with a glass pack. I have a boosch o2 sensor in but only ran to a air/fuel. I know I'm running rich and I know what I have done has caused it all I'm simply looking for is a good way to tune and the best way to tune

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
My current set up is pacesetter headers to 2.5" pipe to electric dumps and with a glass pack. I have a boosch o2 sensor in but only ran to a air/fuel. I know I'm running rich and I know what I have done has caused it all I'm simply looking for is a good way to tune and the best way to tune

REINSTALL UPSTREAM 02. Upstream is a vital part of a/f management. Without it you're in permanent open loop and no tuner will mess with you.

As for your original question, frptuning.com to get a canned sct tune from Ryan.

Answer in red

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you're running bolt-ons only, there is no need to mess around with air/fuel meters. Canned tunes are written specifically for stock or bolt-on engines. You'll only need to utilize an A/F meter if you're doing more serious upgrades, like stroking or head/cam swaps.

Pepper and I run tunes from Flyin' Ryan and I'll second him for recommendation. MAKE SURE YOU DO THE PLENUM FIX FIRST. Ryan emphasized both on the phone and email that he WON'T work with you unless you do it.

Or, you can swap on a Hughes AirGap and Ryan offers a canned tune for that. Gonna run ya $600 though and I've read more than a few fitment issues with it. Me personally, I like the low-end grunt of the factory induction so I'm sticking with it. Plus, it saves a few bucks, so it's a win-win for me. Just depends entirely on both what you want to do and what you can afford to do.