Big tires no power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gware65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 ci
Bought a 1996 ram 1500 with 35's seems to not have eough power to turn tires all the time any suggestions

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
What gear are you running ?

Build it up to make more HP and or more appropriate gearing ?

buy smaller tires ...

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
with 35s you shouldn't be running anything less than 4.10. If it feels like there is no power, put it in manual first on the shifter and try to accelerate. It should have a decent amount of pickup around 1500-3000rpm. If not i'd guess whoever put those tires on didn't change the gears. With 35s you could even go into the low 5s ratio wise and still be good.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Needs gear. Also very likely it needs plenum and tune-up. Very common. Read a bunch of threads on here, tons of valuable information about all that

OP
OP
G

gware65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 ci
Thanks for the info keep it coming can use it all

OP
OP
G

gware65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 ci
Also was wondering about lockers for this dodge1500

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Gears are your friend here. Get ready to shell out some green though. General cost of an axle rebuild from what I know is a grand. So, you'll want a minimum of $2,000 for two axles. Be wise to set aside $3,000 because building stuff always costs more than whatever you plan, LOL.

OP
OP
G

gware65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 ci
Am pretty mechanically inclined is it a difficult job

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Axle rebuilds are either 100% right or 100% wrong from what I've read. Guess that's why they're so expensive to have rebuilt. If you can do it yourself, you'll easily save hundreds. I don't know much about it, but you've got things like bearing preload and gear lash and if they're off by even a few thousandths of spec, you'll torch the works in no time. Even the break-in is unforgiving and different places have different procedures for doing so and they WILL void your warranty if you don't follow their procedure to the letter. Obviously if you do it yourself, you're just gonna have to do some research and find for yourself the best way to break in the gears. If you screw it up, well, you know.

I'll play devil's advocate and just advise that you find a reputable shop to do the work for you and then follow their procedure for breaking in the gears. Not saying that you can't do it, but it's a lot of time and a lot of money if you mess up.

I'm hoping to have mine rebuilt with 3.92 or 4.10 gears down the road not because I have big wheels, but purely for the performance factor. I want to swap the open rear for a limited-slip because my 2WD traction honestly sucks, LOL. I've gotten stuck in some rather embarrassing spots because of this and back when my 4WD wasn't working, this was a much bigger problem than it needed to be.

Open differential + mud = teh suck.

Last edited:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Axle rebuilds are either 100% right or 100% wrong from what I've read. Guess that's why they're so expensive to have rebuilt. If you can do it yourself, you'll easily save hundreds. I don't know much about it, but you've got things like bearing preload and gear lash and if they're off by even a few thousandths of spec, you'll torch the works in no time. Even the break-in is unforgiving and different places have different procedures for doing so and they WILL void your warranty if you don't follow their procedure to the letter. Obviously if you do it yourself, you're just gonna have to do some research and find for yourself the best way to break in the gears. If you screw it up, well, you know.

I'll play devil's advocate and just advise that you find a reputable shop to do the work for you and then follow their procedure for breaking in the gears. Not saying that you can't do it, but it's a lot of time and a lot of money if you mess up.

I'm hoping to have mine rebuilt with 3.92 or 4.10 gears down the road not because I have big wheels, but purely for the performance factor. I want to swap the open rear for a limited-slip because my 2WD traction honestly sucks, LOL. I've gotten stuck in some rather embarrassing spots because of this and back when my 4WD wasn't working, this was a much bigger problem than it needed to be.

Open differential + mud = teh suck.

Forget limited slip. I know some guys say they are no better than open, they are wrong. But my limited slip leaves a lot to be desired, even right after I replaced the clutch packs. Don't get me wrong, I can run through corn fields and a foot of snow with no problem with some weight in back. If you've already got it, its pretty good, but if you're upgrading, forget it and go buy a detroit locker for a couple hundred more.

As for doing the axle yourself. You can, but you'll need the axle seal installation tools, there is no reason to do all that work and not replace the axle seals. If you have a week or two where you can afford to not be driving your truck, go for it. Otherwise take it to a shop.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
^^to add to this.

FACTORY limited slip is ****. Myself i suggest an aftermarket limited slip like an Auburn or Eaton TrueTrack because they do not need to be disengaged or anything like that. Locker is either engaged or not and a full time locker makes turning a ***** and eats tires.

OP
OP
G

gware65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 ci
Is an air locker any good

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yeah they're good. Myself i just like the full-time of a good LSD in case you get in a ****** situation. No need to rely on engagement. But that's me. Both are good options

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
^^to add to this.

FACTORY limited slip is ****. Myself i suggest an aftermarket limited slip like an Auburn or Eaton TrueTrack because they do not need to be disengaged or anything like that. Locker is either engaged or not and a full time locker makes turning a ***** and eats tires.

You should look into the new detroit lockers. They are open when coasting in forward or reverse. The new ones (almost 10 years old now but not the old ones from the 80s and 90s) have an overrunning clutch setup that allows one tire to spin faster than the other but not slower. So when taking a sharp turn, unlike an open differential where the vehicle speed stays the same and the difference is split between the two tires, the vehicle increases speed, inner tire stays at its initial speed and the outer tire increases speed to avoid skipping and hard turns. Thats simply put, it doesn't work exactly like that, but for explanations sake, it's accurate. You also dont have to engage or disengage anything, it's an instant automatic locker.

Its more expensive than other limited slip setups, but not by much. Not compared to an axle rebuild anyway

OP
OP
G

gware65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 ci
Thanks I will look into them