Black smoke an backfiring?! Help please!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rodeoram93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
So I have a 1999 dodge 1500 5.9l 4*4 an I replaced the plenum gasket an plate this weekend an it was running fine wen I test drove it then today I replaced a spark plug an started it up an it blew out black smoke with some chunks of suet an backfiring pretty steadily it stopped black smoking but it's still back firing... What could this be??

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Check and be sure you reinstalled all the vacuum lines and plugs to all the sensors properly when you put the intake back on. Black smoke and backfiring are often a symptom of running too rich, which could occur if one of your sensors was not hooked up properly, or if you had a good vacuum leak. Are you getting a CEL?
Dave

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to set the plenum in place about 3 times before i actually set in down correctly with all gaskets in proper placement, pain in the ass. If you don't have it installed 100% correct you will leak vacuum like crazy.