Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

broken bolt on intake manifold! help me!

This is a discussion on broken bolt on intake manifold! help me! within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!
Guys i dont know how to go at this but my engine has been exposed to salt on roads and ...

Like Tree4Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1997
Engine: 5.2 magnum
Default broken bolt on intake manifold! help me!
Guys i dont know how to go at this but my engine has been exposed to salt on roads and the top of bolt broke on intake what are my options?

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
Seanram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: Hemi 5.7
like the actual intake manifold? if so you could try and use a reverse drill bit or an easy out.. but I would recommend just taking the time to take the full intake off and then try to use vicegrips on the broken bolt or if you have access to a welder, just weld a nut to the top of the broken bolt and undo
R.L.K. likes this.

2013 Ram 1500 crew cab sport 4x4, 2/4 Mcgaughys deluxe drop kit, ported edelbrock supercharged at 12psi, comp 274 cam, custom exhaust, afe intake, hand ported and polished throttle body, HD swap, fast enough to get in trouble and slow enough to want more
Bigdaddycodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

i broke the first bolt off on intake and havent messed with any other bolts. the intake is still on my truck.
supertech276 likes this.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with 3/4 ton spring pack
Engine: Magnum 318
If you are doing the plenum, just keep taking the rest off. The broken bolt means its rusted in pretty tough so you may need a flat head to GENTLY pry the intake up, just to break the seal. Also, douse the bolt in WD-40or PB blaster while you are taking the rest off.

Once you get the intake off, get yourself a propane torch or something hotter, and some WD-40 (no need to waste the good stuff on this part). Take the torch and heat the bolt up for 20-30 second, the douse it with WD-40 until it stops smoking. If it lights on fire, just let it burn out and don't heat it as much next time. Repeat this once more. Take a pair of vise grips and latch them on TIGHT. Just rock the vise grips back and forth a little at a time, if it moves, just keep turning it more and more on each pass. If it won't budge, go back to heating and cooling 3 or so times. Eventually it will come out.

If you do decide to weld a nut on, its imperative that you do two things. Disconnect the battery, and put the negative clamp on the HEAD, not the block or anything else. Putting the clamp in the intake ports is fine. If you clamp it to the block, current will flow partially through the headgasket, ground straps, and possibly bearings on the crank, con rod, and piston rings/piston.

I broke one bolt on mine and got it out real easy using the heat and cool method.

I'd also take a can of compressed air and blow all the crud out of the bolt holes too. You can also dab your finger in oil and touch the threads on the bolts when re-installing to make your life easier. Just remember, a torque wrench is only accurate when moving, if you stop, it will indicate a higher torque until the bolt starts moving again.

As long as you don't go all 300lb gorilla, you will be fine. Just use a couple touches of oil or assembly lube to hold the gaskets in place and double check everything once you set the intake back down, and you'll be fine.
Rado likes this.
dudeman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2001
Engine: 5.9L V8
Remove intake and follow the above advice from dudeman. Only thing i would add is cover the lifter valley and intake ports to protect from splatter.

Easy outs are a no no on these bolts. They break every damn time and make the job much worse.

2001 Ram 1500 QCSB, 265/75/16 ProComp MT2s, M1 2bbl, F&B 52x55mm TB, JBA Stainless Shorty Headers, Carven R Series, M1 91 Octane canned tune by FlyinRyan, remote start, HS 1.7 RRs, Custom RetroFit 6500K HID, Soon to be boosted...
dapepper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1999
Engine: 5.9 Magnum
+1 (or -1 I guess) on the EZ Outs. My dad tried one on of the two bolts that broke on mine and it snapped almost immediately.

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SLT Laramie
American Racing Nitro, K&N open element, modified 50mm, 2.25" y-pipe, Magnaflow 99069HM, Cherry Bomb Extreme, tuned by Flyin' Ryan, steering stabilizer, 4x4 Posi-Lok, Cobra fuzz-buster
Yeret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Guys check these pictures out and tell me that pletnum is shot. i am also going to try to heat the bolts up tomarrow.
Attached Thumbnails
img_0330.jpg   img_0331.jpg   img_0335.jpg  

img_0334.jpg  
OnSale likes this.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with 3/4 ton spring pack
Engine: Magnum 318
That crud is pretty common on the bottom if there has been intervals with way to much mileage on the oil.

The only way to tell if the plenum was infact bad is to unbolt that plate on the bottom and inspect the gasket.

You have plenty of height left on that bolt to get it out no problem. Just take it slow, nothing is done better because you shaved 5 minutes off.
dudeman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

The gasket failed, I saw where was was no gasket and it was brittle and took 30 mins to to scrape it but I might have to take head off. Cause one bolt is flush with the exhaust gasket and no nub I can grab with my finger. What about drill and tap?
Old 01-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Also would it be bad if I used the old steel plenum pan? It doesn't seem warped or nothing just the gasket failed.