Burning oil, and my patience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redneck760

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Magnum
So about a month ago I was comming up on a smog renewal.(Cali) My truck had been progressively burning more and more oil, about 2 quarts every 2 weeks. So i did some research, figured the plenum. Me n my buddy tore in. Replaced the plenum gasket, manifold gasket, and valve cover gasket while we were at it. Slapped her together and oil burn dropped very significantly. Getting closer to smog I need a new cat, mine was (cat backed) and by that I mean the exit on the cat snapped and dropped on the cross member, been like that for maybe a year. Replaced the cat, n threw a O2 code. P0132, talked to some mechanics at work n they said could just be the new cat n to take a long drive. (100miles+) see if it resets the monitor. So knowing my truck still had been burning oil I checked it befor I took off and it was topped. 134miles later the next day I checked my oil. And it burned probably a whole quart. She does put out white smoke above 3k rpm, but no milky oil, n oil dripping, no loss of power, n knock, no ping, no backfire, no plug fouling. Who's stealing my oil???

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Maybe the plenum repair did not go as it should have, did you go with an aluminum one and the good felpro gasket?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Redneck760

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Magnum
That's kinda what I'm leaning toward, I looked down the throttle body n it's pretty clean but that's not always a for sure sign. I just replaced the stock one with a doorman gasket. Might just redo it again since it should only take half the time as last time.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I second a compression test. Torched rings or valve guides will leave plenty of oil behind to get burned off in the chambers.

In regards to your plenum repair, did you do the full deal (thick aluminum plate in place of the original steel plate with Fel-Pro gasket) or did you simply use an updated gasket? I've read that the updated Fel-Pro gasket works fine even with the original steel plate but I don't know how well the gaskets from other manufacturers work.

Irregardless of what you used, as long as the one trillion pan bolts were torqued properly, any gasket should work for at least a little while. If you're still going through that much oil, I'd say you've definitely got another issue going on.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Dry comp check is just a comp check. Wet check you drip enough oil into the cylinder to cover the top of the piston. If a large change occurs in results your rings are ******. The oil moves to the cylinder walls and helps ring sealing.

If conpression is low in both cases with little or no change, valve seals

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
+2 to a compression check. Also do a leak down test.
How many miles are on this engine?

OP
OP
R

Redneck760

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Magnum
215k, can you explain a leak down test?