Cam Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flatbed5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I'm new to forums(first post EVER), so forgive me if i am not up to speed. i have a '98 ram 1500 with the magnum 5.2L. it has about 120Kmiles on original motor and trans(runs great, quiet and smooth after the tune-up). i purchased it barely less than a year ago. it originally came from upstate NY, didnt come to VA til '10. it was my daily driver until about a month ago when i decided to turn it into a project truck. its full for cancer(rust) in the rear quarter panels and rocker panels. the frame needs some tlc too, as far as rust goes.

What id like feedback on today is recommended modifications/changes i need to do so i can put my Comp Cam XE 268-H in. ive been looking around on forums and cant find any info i need. any suggestions? thanks a mil!

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
give me a link to the cam you are talking about.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
custum tune to get it to run correctly. adjustable roller rockers, able to measure push rod length, bigger springs. is this what you are asking?

is your truck 2wd reg cab? thats i big cam for a 4x4 quad. it wont have alot of torque off the bottom.

OP
OP
F

flatbed5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
my truck is a 4wd reg cab. im not trying to make it into a muscle truck or anything. i got this cam from a trade and just want to know what would be good to along with the cam install. ive heard several people saying put 360 heads(bigger valves) on it, but others say that doing that drops the compression drastically. i just want the truck to have a nasty lope and the occasional extra hp/tq. not trying to race it..............yet :naughty:

OP
OP
F

flatbed5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
besides being new heads, are they any different than the ones that are on my 5.2?

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
bigger stainles steel valves, little better flow, much better casting. there have been a few people that have had the stock mag heads crack between the valves.

OP
OP
F

flatbed5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
oh ok. so if i get my hands on a set all i gotta do is get head gaskets and time it up and im good?

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
you should really have adjustable rockers and a way to check pushrod length. cause more than likely the p-rods will be different. and with 120k i would get new lifters.

if you have never done this before i would suggest you find a buddy that has, and you do the work while he watches.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
Umm, you are not gonna have much luck with new cam and heads if you don't get it chipped also. The comp isn't gonna know what to do with new cam, i.e. timing, fuel curve etc with out being told via http://www.sctflash.com/ or some such aid.
And I agree if you have not done this kind of wrenching before get help, cause there are way too many little things that can screw ya in the end.

OP
OP
F

flatbed5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
yeah i got an older friend down the road from me. its kind of hit-and-miss with him as he owns his own business. i dont have the money to get it chipped(yet), honestly i really just want to port and polish the heads, slap the cam in, and put my felpro gasket set in thats been laying around and call it a day. the cam came with a set of hydraulic lifters(was part of the kit)...so...

wheres that leave me? lol. i should probly get a new plenum kit right? i never heard of this "thing" til i owned a dodge

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
it will probably run.maybe. as long as the pushrods arent to long.you definitaly want to check piston to valve clearance before you fire it up.or possibly BOOM.
you just wont be seeing the full potential without getting it tuned. sct is what i use also. get my tunes via email.

just take your time. get everything you need. then do it. donnt rush it or you will be dissapointed in the outcome.buy as the money becomes avalable it took me probably 6 months to get all my motor stuff together.

hughes engines for the plenum kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flatbed5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
whats the easiest way to check p2v clearance? i saw on another forum where someone suggested putting a thicker headgasket on to compensate for a few different things. i agree with everyone's suggestions on my topic, im just trying to go about this the absolute cheapest way w/o damaging my engine which runs great as is

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
I hate to say this but you would honestly be better off just leaving it as is until you can get the things you need. I know the feeling of using what you got and wanting to do some trick stuff but the things your wanting to do HAVE to be done right or, at best your motor won't start, at worse you smack a piston, bend a valve and smoke a hole in the piston. Then it is game over.
May I suggest looking into building your own cold air intake? Maybe going for more spark from a hotter coil. or buying a cheap turbo muffler and putting it on yourself. These are all things that can be done on the cheap, by yourself with little wrench exp and actually increase performance while not taking the chance of locking up your engine.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
I hate to say this but you would honestly be better off just leaving it as is until you can get the things you need. I know the feeling of using what you got and wanting to do some trick stuff but the things your wanting to do HAVE to be done right or, at best your motor won't start, at worse you smack a piston, bend a valve and smoke a hole in the piston. Then it is game over.
May I suggest looking into building your own cold air intake? Maybe going for more spark from a hotter coil. or buying a cheap turbo muffler and putting it on yourself. These are all things that can be done on the cheap, by yourself with little wrench exp and actually increase performance while not taking the chance of locking up your engine.

x2. very well said.

OP
OP
F

flatbed5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
yeah, advance auto sells a complete cold air intake, been considering MSD ignition, and its going to be straight exhaust(no muffler) from the cat back into dual 5" or 6" stacks from Black Cloud Diesel. i know ill probly catch hell for putting stacks on a gasser, but i go for unique instead of following the crowd

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
yeah, advance auto sells a complete cold air intake, been considering MSD ignition, and its going to be straight exhaust(no muffler) from the cat back into dual 5" or 6" stacks from Black Cloud Diesel. i know ill probly catch hell for putting stacks on a gasser, but i go for unique instead of following the crowd

The only hell I give to people with stacks... Is the fact either gasser or diesel when you got stacks in the bed of your truck its a good sign that you don't work with your truck for a living. I think stacks look cool but there is no room in the bed for stack when you haul for a living.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01