Cam Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
save the money on the msd ignition and get you a tuner. like superchips or sct if you plan on camming it. tuners are the best bang for the buck.imo. and you can usually find a superchip used for a good price.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
take this from someone who has had 2msd boxes, petronics box, and now streetfire ign box. you will not feel much; if any of a difference. they are not a good bang for the buck. our spark is plenty good for 500+ hp. just sayin.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
hey talon..I already have a SCT, should I bother with a msd ignition box?

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
hey talon..I already have a SCT, should I bother with a msd ignition box?

it wont hurt anything. but there will be no seat of the pants difference. it would be one of the last mods on my list.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
I have an MSD and used them alot in the past. seat of the pants is zero, improve on MPG some, but more of a use when you need hotter spark for more fuel. IE use when increaseing fuel injectors and cam etc. I do have an old MSD 5 of my rig and noticed a slight increase in mpg but if I hadn't already owned it I would have been pissed at what little diff it made for cost.
Use the MSD when you are getin serious about your builds, other wise put a good coil on it and buy a tuner =)

OP
OP
F

flatbed5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
ive pretty much narrowed it down to these mods(not trying to get massive amnts of HP)

cam
cold air intake
MSD ignition box and dist cap, someone told me to get spiral wires also, at least 8mm
and straight pipes

thats all my motor work i want to acheive ATM. i have to finish the flatbed and the rest of the rust before i do things "unnecessary", seeing as how my mechanic says he wont let my truck pass state insp in Oct... due to NYDOT lol

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
you are not supposed to run the spiral wires with a msd box.

OP
OP
F

flatbed5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
oh?...my buddy (almost 50 and builds all his own stuff) has a 383 stroker in a slammed S10 and he suggested that to me. he says it provides the necessary shielding needed with high voltage output

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
maybe i have it backwards then. let me go look at the book. thought you were supposed to run solid core.

OP
OP
F

flatbed5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
ok, that's cool. whats your reference material? i actually appreciate the contradiction. gives me something to ponder over. this build is going to be anything but normal. a flatbed gasser with stacks and a mildly tuned powerplant. here's another question/issue id like to pose...

ive heard that the 2nd Gen Rams are well-known for weak transmissions. is this a myth or fact? ive been considering finding a donor ram with a functional ECU and stickshift. i learned on a straightdrive and have always preferred them, autos suck in my opinion

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
standard shift trans do hold up alot better. and the auto trans are week. especially if you romp on them alot. one of my buddies work at a trans shop, and our trans is one they keep one rebuilt already in stock and have all the parts to rebuild another. heat kills them. they need trans cooler. and they have less clutch disks than most auto trans.

i have not switched out a auto for a standard before so i cannt really help you much there.someone will chime in on that.

and my info came from my msd streefire book i got with the ign box.

OP
OP
F

flatbed5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
thx for the info, talon6. and that ign box looks alot better than $214. i probly wont produce any more than 400hp, which i just saw that the MSD 6AL is better suited for. i probly wont put out any more than 320-350. i think from factory the Ram 5.2's only have 230hp

OP
OP
F

flatbed5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
just thought of another question...

the guy i got the cam from says he had the cam installed for not even 500 miles. i can agree with that, b/c the cam doesnt even look worn at all, and i also have his original purchase reciept from when he ordered it, which was March 2nd of this year. that being said, do i need to apply cam lube?

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
YES, ALWAYS!! Always, always use assembly lube! And always always change the oil after an hour or so of run time. The cam may be "broke in" but unless you have the lifters and matched them up with the lobes the were broke in with you will be breaking them in. It is just good insurance to use lube.
Sorry didn't go back and read rest of the thread, did you get new lifters for it or were you reusing the old lifters from the prev cam? I ask because the cam will wear to the lifters, lifters wear to push rods, push rods wear to guides etc. When you pull the apart you always put them back, if installing a diff cam I'd suggest replacing the lifters at least. You may not have any problems, not sayin it happens every time, but do you really want to ruin your cam after puting it in? Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
F

flatbed5.2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
i have the lifters(hydraulic) that came in kit, the guy put them back in their little box in the correct order(front to back, left/right) that he had them installed