Catalytic Converter/o2 Sensor help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverHoghead

Reaction score
Born and raised in Hendersonville, TN. University
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
So I'm getting a rattle in my cat, and I know the honeycomb has come loose. I'm planning on getting a high-flow eventually, but for now I can't afford it. I'm gonna cut it a couple inches before and after and beat the guts out of it, then clamp it back up. (won't be longer than six months.) The problem I'm wanting to address is the fact that I have two o2 sensors. It'll read fine before the cat but after is a little sketchy. I DO NOT WANT A CEL. What should I do? I've seen o2 simulators, spark plug non fowlers, and all kinds of crap, but I was wondering if I can run it just stock without modifying either o2 sensor? Thanks y'all.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
It is possible. I have heard mixed results on a gutted cat. Non foulers are the fastest and easiest of them all. You could go ahead and gut it and put it back and see what you get. If you get a CEL go tot he parts store and get you a non fouler and screw it in.

OP
OP
SilverHoghead

SilverHoghead

Reaction score
Born and raised in Hendersonville, TN. University
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
It is possible. I have heard mixed results on a gutted cat. Non foulers are the fastest and easiest of them all. You could go ahead and gut it and put it back and see what you get. If you get a CEL go tot he parts store and get you a non fouler and screw it in.

Where does it screw in? The o2 sensor ****?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yup. Supposedly

Unscrew sensor.
Take to store
Get fowler to fit
Come home screw both into ****.
Done

Supposedly

Only reason I say that is cause I haven't done it just heard about it.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I drilled two 1/2 holes in the CAT and using a screwdriver broke up the honeycomb and with the muffler removed I just fired it up and reved a few times till it was all gone. Then welded up the 2 holes and ground the can smooth again.

NO CEL light, no problems and still got both o2 sensors functional without fouler or other stuff...

I'm hitting 16-17 MPG without the CAT... :)

Mopar1973Man's Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel Forum - 1996 Dodge Ram - 16-17 MPG is reality!!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
^^^^ Always coming in at the right time. Nice man.