CEL On 4 codes, trans slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey all, well I've collected a few check engine light codes since the summer. Pulled these today via my sct tuner:

P1388- bad asd relay or or wire cut somewhere on harness
P0135- bad front o2 (brand new ntk sensor) bank one, sensor one
P0138- bad front o2 bank one sensor two
P1281- engine to cold for to long, possible stuck open thermostat?

Anyone had these codes before and fixed them? What did ya do? I'm going to replace the thermostat with another 180* stat and see if that clears the p1281.

For the p0135/p0138 I got those codes after installing a magnaflow direct fit cat to replace my stock spoiled one. Replaced with brand new ntk sensors but still getting the codes? I've looked for a pinched wire in the harness but havent found anything yet. Gonna try and clean the connectors up and see if that helps. Could these codes stem from a stuck open thermostat?

With the p1388 , im gonna try cleaning the connectors up, and make sure the fuse isn't blown. What else can I do to try to clear the code up?

Now to the other problem , the trans has started slipping on one specific scenario. If I'm coming to a stop but have momentum behind me, see noone coming, so I hit the gas to get back to speed and it drops into neutral. Doesn't slip and acts just fine other wise. Gonna check fluid level tomorrow. I'm also getting a whining thats seemingly coming from the trans as well. Any help appreciated thanks guys.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Pull the tune down to a lower one and install a 195 stat, it's winter.
Return the NTK to the parts store and get a Bosch one.
Check all your grounds, make sure the two on the pass head to the firewall are there.

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Pull the tune down to a lower one and install a 195 stat, it's winter.
Return the NTK to the parts store and get a Bosch one.
Check all your grounds, make sure the two on the pass head to the firewall are there.

Pardon my ignorance, but what difference will the different stats make Merc?

Can't return them now, both have been used for over a month now. I had to splice the front one longer wires at any rate.

Alright will do. Thanks man!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Putting in a 195 will put the motor back to where it wants to be run at temp wise, I am not sure why sct gets you to use a 180 when he can adjust the trim in tunes, the old 180 trick was to make it run a little fatter than normal.

I never cut 02 wires I have always been told thats a no no to do. If one is not cut take that one back under warranty failed 02 nothing more. I also understand the it has to be a NTK thing, well until I see written proof that there is a issue with Bosch try one of them. I have a couple of NTK here if they fit your truck I will send them out on Monday for you.

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I always thought that was odd... I'll order a 195* stant monday than and switch them out.

Weird, because thats exactly what Napa told me to do since I needed longer wires. Of course I'll trust your knowledge over Napa's anyday... I soldered each individual wire if that makes any difference. I don't have the receipts anymore at any rate so no way I can return them now. Now I've never heard of anything but issues from Bosch's, but worth a try though if it will alleviate these codes. Thanks Merc!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
On the Bosch; All I have ever read/heard was no don't bad for our trucks will not work. But that was all word of mouth, no tsb's, no back up info of any kind other than don't do it. I went from Bosch to NTK like everybody told me, my truck hates them (NTK). So I went back to Bosch and a happy truck.

My understanding on the lengthening of 02 wires is that it messes up the resistance in that wire and it will throw off the pcm. This could be wrong just something I was told by a older mech than me.

You have a extra tps around? try it see if that helps your trany.

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Fair enough, as you said all word of mouth never any real hard proof of it.

To me, seems to be the same as if you just use one of those extensions but I'm not sure. Since I got that magnaflow cat the **** is literally 2" to far from the stock location so stock length wires wont work.

No sir I do not, thats throttle position sensor right? I'm not afraid to start throwing parts at this thing... Where is the tps? Might be worth cleaning the connections of it as well.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I will send you an email right quick here.

Got a part number for the 02 you are using? They come in three diff lengths

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Purchased a 195* stant today, will install tomorrow most likely.

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
ASD relay code has disapeared. Been gone 3 days and hasn't returned yet.

Attempted to change thermostat today, got all the way to the damn thing but I can't seem to get the housing out from under the accessory bracket. Any ideas?

Also did I mention I have a leaking axle seal?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Got it all back together, fire it up, coolant everywhere. Going to take it to the shop for them to deal with it, I'm done trying to fix it. I don't have the motivation to pull it apart again aha. Ughh.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Got it all back together, fire it up, coolant everywhere. Going to take it to the shop for them to deal with it, I'm done trying to fix it. I don't have the motivation to pull it apart again aha. Ughh.

Sorry to read it went south on you, hope the shop gets it done fast for you.

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well the shop didnt know either what I did wrong, they were saying the thermostat bolts werent seating right. $100 and shes good to go. Warming up much higher than the old one, lets see how truck reacts to this over the next few days

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Gone over 100kms now and no CEL yet!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Well the shop didn't know either what I did wrong, they were saying the thermostat bolts weren't seating right. $100 and shes good to go. Warming up much higher than the old one, lets see how truck reacts to this over the next few days

I foresee better mpg and warmer feet :)

How has your slip been?

Kinda personal is that not lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How has your slip been?

Non-existant last 100 km's aha, we'll see how this continues.

I foresee better mpg and warmer feet :)

Kinda personal is that not lol.

Oh man the mpg is unreal already. I need to run a full tank and see what mileage im getting but so far its lasting way longer than usual! MUCH WARMER FEET lol.

I'm thinking the thermostat was the cause of my o2 issues, seeing as those CEL codes havent returned either.

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well 550 kms since t-stat change now and no CEL. I am thinking the p0135 and p0138 were a direct result of the engine running to cold and throwing the readings off. If anyone else gets those codes do try replacing your thermostat, as that seems to have been my fix. The p1281 was for the thermostat so it should be gone for good as well. I am not sure why the asd relay code disappeared and never came back. Oh well Im not complaining lol.