Chipping my 02 Ram 1500 regular cab short box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02DRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l V8
My chip (edge evolution cs) claims it can give me up to 100hp on stage 5 I believe. I'm apprehensive of trying this due to the fact my engine is completely stock. Would this be okay to run for a day or two? Or should I completely avoid trying it. Thanks!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no information but I will say I don't see how you can get another 100hp out of a 4.7 without major work done to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Agreed. Typical BS hype.

Go ahead and put it on and see how you like it.

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Those "chips" might give you a 5hp gain for a week, at which point the factory computer will adjust its parameters to bring the engine back to factory specs.

These useless little things trick a sensor or 2 to make your vehicle run a little richer or with a little more timing.

If there is any kind of a claim that it can make 100hp with ONLY a chip its about the most obvious scam there could possibly be. . .

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^He has an actual programmer, so it'll be a semi-permant program.

Also, wrong section.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Won't give you a 100hp no. That claim is towards the diesels which it is also compatible with.

You might gain 15-20whp. Maybe. Custom tuning is in the 25-30whp range

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sure it will. See, I've got experience with those gasoline molecular rearranger doo-dads and I'm here to say that they totally work. If you install them correctly. What you do is you first unbolt the battery cables from the battery and then you drill some holes into the hot cable and then you bolt that ****er on. Then, wait for it, you cross the connectors on the battery. That is to say, you put the (+) on the (-) and the (-) on the (+). See, the molecules of gasoline can only be rearranged if the battery is discharging in reverse. Now, try starting the engine and if you're lucky, you'll be greeted by a good old "snap, crackle, pop" in the fuse box. Congratulations! Now that your vehicle is completely immobilized, you can walk to work, saving a ******* fortune on gas. Granted, me, I've had to shell out some extra scratch to maintain my 5,000 calorie diet since my work is twelve miles away but maybe you're luckier and your workplace isn't as far. Good luck!

Or, alternatively, you can just laugh at that kind of stuff and pass it by. Or maybe try to get it for five bucks and then try to resell it for twenty. Chances are, someone's gonna bite.

"Chips" are the kind of thing that you install on older fuel-injection systems (Corvette PROM chip in a Firebird or Camaro I recall as a popular one) to pick up some more power. You try and install that stuff on our much newer OBDII systems and all you're gonna do is **** it off, let alone make any extra power.

If you want an actual increase in power, shell out $400 to someone like Flyin' Ryan and he'll send you a handheld SCT X3 (if he even has any left) complete with a sweet tune. Just plug it into the diagnostic port, follow the instructions and BOOM. You're all set.

And no, you won't gain 100 ponies from this either. If you really want that much extra power, you better have several grand of liquid flow in your pocket book or forget it.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I hope you didn't think I was serious! My dumb-ass father-in-law paid over $300 for plans to run his car on water. :superhack: Guess what, it didn't work.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
LOL, of course I didn't, hence my smart ass reply. :crazy:

Oh god, not the whole "Brown's gas" splitter thingy that can split a hydrogen molecule using nothing but the power of a car battery. And somehow, this gives you a 75% increase in fuel economy. Because...SCIENCE! Science that completely ignores the fact that trying to run a computerized engine, of which said computer is operating based on gasoline, on water is going to totally **** it off.

I'm not gonna lie. Back when I was, like, 15, I totally tried convincing my parents to buy this **** even though I had absolutely no idea how the hell it worked. Crap like this fostered my development to never EVER believe any claim without researching it first. Hey, sometimes you have to be stupid before you can be smart. :superhack:

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes he got suckered into the Brown's gas garbage. He paid over $300 bucks for plans that used a walmart flour canister that held about a quart of water. When I tried to explain why it wouldn't work he got mad and flustered and said "I don't know anything about cars but my friend said it works and he wouldn't lie to me." He just didn't want to admit he got ripped off.