Cleaning the engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
Ok, here goes another novice sounding question....

when folks talk about cleaning their engines, how exactly do you do this? I know certain things aren't supposed to get wet under the hood.....so is there a certain way to go about this process? I live off of a mile long dirt road so I'd like to do this every now and then.....

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diluted Simple Green or Tide clothes soap....

a brush

cover alternator with aluminum foil

Spray engine down with dilluted Simple Green or Tide, let sit, for stubborn areas use the brush...then lightly rinse engine and let dry.

Dress the engine with non silicone dressing.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Diluted Simple Green or Tide clothes soap....

a brush

cover alternator with aluminum foil

Spray engine down with dilluted Simple Green or Tide, let sit, for stubborn areas use the brush...then lightly rinse engine and let dry.

Dress the engine with non silicone dressing.

writing this down for future use...much simpler then what Iv been doing lol

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
wiping off dirt, and then trying to clean it up with a spray bottle and a towell lol

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL...I mean, don't do drowning your engine with Tide or Simple Green or anything like that, just use a little common sense and you'll be fine. Same with the water, set your sprayer on mist and be mindful of any electrical connections, etc.

Doesnt hurt to use a towel...I can't stress enough to use NON SILICONE based dressing...silicone likes to play with sensors and that's no bueno. I use a water based dressing called Jax Wax Shine All.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I use a diluted bottle of Westleys Bleach white, 1 part to 3 parts water and no more than 50/50 ever1
Spray everything but the alternator. Usually small sections because i use scrub and tooth brushes, then rinse liberally with a low pressure shower spray

Sometimes there are tougher spots. Those I spot spray with braklean...do not get it on any body paint! That breaks the oil down so the westleys can remove it quicker.

I wipe my hoses with dressing...not spray it all over. Same with my fan shroud. It doesn't leave a fake super gloss and is less likely to hold dust.

The metal a/c lines and ends all get cleaned/polished with never dull. All the chrome is re cleaned with glass cleaner

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
Wow, I know guys that dont go through for their show cars Okies LOL. I agree with above, don't go crazy with the hose and cover or stay away from Alt as it has vents in it and you should be fine.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I actually spray straight simple green on my engine. Spray everything but the alternator and any major electrical wiring. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, and then lightly rinse it off. From here, take a towel and soak up any standing water...You dont have to dry off every corner of the engine, but just soak up any pools of water that are left behind. Then spray over the entire engine bay with tire foam. I usually wipe down the bigger items, but it is not necessary. Here is the finished product...

engine1.jpg

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
^ Very nice! I usually just throw the bucket of soapy water on the engine after I was the truck (once a week at least) and give her a good scrub down.

Matt, that looks awesome! Love the new ideas.

WhiteRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 CCLB
Engine
6.7 CTD
I usually use a wet cloth and the armoall.

However I'll try this new technique.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been told - and seen results of - **** and Span diluted in water, sprayed on the engine, let it set around 10 minutes, then rinse. I tend to wipe down my engine every couple weeks so they stay pretty clean in the first place, but if they're coated and built up, I've seen before and after of this process and it's pretty impressive.

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I just spray the simple green strait on no dilutiing let it stand for about ten minutes like Matt said then hose off. After that I use my compressor at 60 psi to get all the water out of any tight spots.

HANKr

Banned
Reaction score
Air compressor to blow dust away then Microfiber wash cloth, spray bottle, and 20 minutes of elbow grease.

photo23.jpg