Code p0351

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tfloyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
I have a 1997 doge ram 1500 that is throwing a code p0351 i just put a new motor in about 7 months ago. It drives fine and will just randomly cut off and will crank right back up somtimes it wont i have to let it sit for a few min any thoughts on what this could be or what it most likely is before i start throwing money at the 4 or 5 things it could possibly be?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Looks like an issue with the ignition coil and/or the circuit. If you have a multi-meter, set it to test resistance and pull the ignition coil from the engine. Hold the probes on the two pins at the bottom which go into the connector. I believe the spec is around 1 ohm. Then hold one of the probes on either of the pins and hold the other one on the terminal where the coil wire connects. I think this spec is supposed to be between 6,000 and 9,000 ohms.

If anyone can chime in on the exact numbers, that'd be excellent. Otherwise, I can try and dig up my Chiltons which has the specs somewhere.

Of course, if either of these readings are well out of spec, replace the coil. Spend the extra money and get genuine OEM only. I've read more than a few times that aftermarket ignition coils for our trucks are not so good.

OP
OP
T

tfloyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
thanks for the help I'll try this out tomorrow i just dont want it to be the computer.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yup, I agree with Yeret stick to OEM. I've come to the conclusion that my MSD ignition coil is the root of my problems. A quick Google search also shows similar issues with MSD coils and other vehicles.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Pepper here notes that high-voltage aftermarket coils can "backfeed" into the ECU and potentially fry it. I actually tried researching this a couple days ago but couldn't really find anything explaining how/why.

Flyin' Ryan, a reputable tuner for our trucks, even recommends against aftermarket ignition stuff claiming that it provides virtually no benefit to our engines and is a waste of money. Plus the aforementioned risk of grilling your ECU.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
QUOTE=Yeret;1547461]Pepper here notes that high-voltage aftermarket coils can "backfeed" into the ECU and potentially fry it. I actually tried researching this a couple days ago but couldn't really find anything explaining how/why.

Flyin' Ryan, a reputable tuner for our trucks, even recommends against aftermarket ignition stuff claiming that it provides virtually no benefit to our engines and is a waste of money. Plus the aforementioned risk of grilling your ECU.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately for trucks such as mine there isn't much choice these days.

Mopar Performance which runs 60+
Standard Motor Parts = 30
DELPHI = 27ish

DELPHI's comes from China, I don't know much about SMP, and the Mopar ones are getting hard to find for my old truck.

I believe he may run into the same issue with his 97 unless he goes to AutoZone or O'Riley's... I hope not though. XD

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
try Rockauto. You can get wholesale parts both aftermarket and OEM.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
try Rockauto. You can get wholesale parts both aftermarket and OEM.

That's usually my go to site but they sell pretty much all the same stuff as Amazon except for Mopar stuff. In the end it comes down to Standard Motor Products or Delphi if I don't want to shell out 60 bucks.

After doing some digging I did find out that Standard Motor Products owns BWD as mentioned here in the last paragraph. SMP Corporate | SMP

I'll be shelling out for Delphi probably. I've never really had bad luck with them.

Edit: Sorry tfloyd, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread like this but I figured with yours being a 97 you would be in the same boat.

Edit 2: I did a little more digging. It seems if I want a Mopar ignition coil then this is my only choice.

Last edited: