Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Cold air intake

This is a discussion on Cold air intake within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!
I get mine from the front I think just helps in getting the flow there...

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Luke

Ram Year: 2001 Off Road
Engine: 5.9L V8 Sport
I get mine from the front I think just helps in getting the flow there

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Superchips 3715;3rd gen 20s; Cat back exhaust, no muffler;Custom Grill Insert; SRT Hood; Hummer Nerf Bars (PD);Roll Bar (PD); Halo Projectors w/ 6K HIDs; Tow Mirrors; Body matched antennae base and handles; Custom tail Stripe; Custom decals; Painted frame, suspension parts, and wheel wells; Air Horn; Aluminum fuel door; one of kind dents and scratches; 2.5" TGC Leveling Kit; Bilstein 5100 Shocks; LED dash lights ;Cleared needles; blue switches; Painted dash pieces; Pioneer CD player; Cerwin Vega 6x9s , Alpine 5 1/4;Kenwood amp; RF sub w/Boss Amp; 5% window tint on the back, and strip on the front; trail grapplers

New Here? Introduce yourself here - Click here to become a Supporting Member - Check out our Preferred Vendors!
wermbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Justin

Ram Year: 2015 Ram 1500
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Originally Posted by RubberFrog View Post
That is really factually inaccurate. All air has oxygen in it. Cool dense air simply has more oxygen. In addition, since most CAI get their air at virtually the same place as the stock intake, they are not truly "cold air" intakes. Rather, they simply reduce restrictions compared to the stock intake.

I know that the majority of our members already know this, I posted for any of our newer members who may still be expanding their knowledge base.
So, would it make more sense right now to just get a drop in replacement by k&n or amisol? I'm not planning to do too much right now but I'd like to be able to get the most out of my truck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BTC Member #40
Roman4405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

RF Admin / Vendor

Name: JJ

Ram Year: 2010 1500 Crew
Engine: 5.7L
Send a message via AIM to 0212353 Send a message via MSN to 0212353 Send a message via Yahoo to 0212353
some days I think about going back to a drop in. I don't "need" a CAI..........but it sounds spiffy.

0212353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Name: George

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: Cummins
Originally Posted by Roman4405 View Post
So, would it make more sense right now to just get a drop in replacement by k&n or amisol? I'm not planning to do too much right now but I'd like to be able to get the most out of my truck.

There are lots of opinions on that...

Let me share MY experience and then you will understand MY opinion.

I have had a PVC "shitter pipe" intake, a mopar/k&n "filter on a stick" intake, a vararam "ram air" intake, and now a k&n drop in filter.

The shitter pipe and mopar/k&n gave the same performance- a slight loss of bottom end (felt while towing) and a slight gain during wot runs.

The vararam was a gain all the way around, low end to top end. The quality was a little cheesy, but it was a performer. There are some concerns when running in/near water with the low intake scoops.

Now I run a drop in. I have all of my lowend and no water worries, at least not any more than stock.

Although I have some performance mods, I am obviously not a track truck. I run 37s and I tow, so bottom end is king for me.

I am positive that one of the street guys will have a different impression of these intakes.

WebSlinger- The Truck
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
07 QCSB, Flame Red 5.7 4x4 SLT

Performance:
Internal: Custom Cam, 180 T-Stat - Intake: Ported Throttle Body, K&N Drop In Filter - Exhaust: Edelbrock Shorties, Magnaflow Y, Dumped Gibson, Raceland Cutout - Tuning & Support: SC, Aeroforce Interceptor w/ afr
Suspension:
Lift: 6" Susp, 3" BL, Shackle Lift, Add-a-Leaf - Wheels: 20x10 BMF S.O.T.A.s with Color Matched Lip, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers
Audio Visual:
Audio: Kenwood DDX512 Head Unit, Kicker ZX 400.1 Amp, 10" Kicker CVT Sub, Fox Box, Infinity Reference Speakers, Shorty Antenna - Video: 10.4" LCD Flip-down Overhead Monitor, R Cam
Appearance:
Styling: RFF Tactical Grill, RFF Skid Plate, SRT Hood, Bushwacker Flares,Tow Mirrors, Nerf Bars, 2500 Tow Hooks - - Lighting:JJ's Custom Projector Headlights, Led Tails, Smoked Cab Lights, 4x VisionX 180w - Bed: Leer 100XQ Shell, Line-x XTRA, Defender Roof Rack

RubberFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Name: -D-

Ram Year: 2004 Dodge Ram
Engine: 5.7L
Most definitely

Originally Posted by wermbang View Post
I get mine from the front I think just helps in getting the flow there

Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

Name: Justin

Ram Year: 2015 Ram 1500
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Originally Posted by RubberFrog View Post
There are lots of opinions on that...

Let me share MY experience and then you will understand MY opinion.

I have had a PVC "shitter pipe" intake, a mopar/k&n "filter on a stick" intake, a vararam "ram air" intake, and now a k&n drop in filter.

The shitter pipe and mopar/k&n gave the same performance- a slight loss of bottom end (felt while towing) and a slight gain during wot runs.

The vararam was a gain all the way around, low end to top end. The quality was a little cheesy, but it was a performer. There are some concerns when running in/near water with the low intake scoops.

Now I run a drop in. I have all of my lowend and no water worries, at least not any more than stock.

Although I have some performance mods, I am obviously not a track truck. I run 37s and I tow, so bottom end is king for me.

I am positive that one of the street guys will have a different impression of these intakes.
Thanks. I think part of me wanting a cai is that it looks cool, but I'm not gonna do too much to it anytime soon so a drop in is probably what I'm gonna do. When I decide to get an exhaust then maybe I'll get a cai.

BTC Member #40
Roman4405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

Name: Dave

Ram Year: 1998
Engine: 5.2 magnum
I use a ram air type setup on mine that is truly a cold air intake. I have flex hose that goes to the air filter housing run to the opening in the front bumper, so the air entering the housing is gathered from outside, rather than under the hood, and the faster you drive, the more cool air is forced into the housing. Seems to work pretty well, although you definitely have to clean the air filter more often, as it seems to gather a lot more dust, dirt, bugs and leaves this way, especially when driving off road. Dave

1998 Ram 1500, 5.2 magnum, ram air, Bosch platinum 4 plugs, 8 mm wires, JBA shorty headers, MSD ignition, custom tune, straight pipe true dual exhaust w no mufflers or cats, aftermarket engine oil cooler w fan, OEM trans cooler with aftermarket fan, 2.5 ton heavy duty shocks, 265/75 R16 Wild Country MTX mud tires
ParrotHead FA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1999
Engine: 5.9
are there any differences between an intake setup or the air cleaner in power, torque and mpg.
ram15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1996 Dodge Ram Club Cab
Engine: Magnum 5.2 L 318
Question K&N Not fitting over Throttle Body
Evening,

I have a K&N 57-1511-2 that is having clearance issues with my 5.2l engine. The screw stud hole is offset from center and there is very little space to squeeze the intake over the throttle body. Right now it appears slightly canted on the throttle body.

I could use advice if anybody know if the throttle body in the Mexican Built Rams is different than the US built Rams?

Thank you
dblisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2001
Engine: 5.9L V8
Need an s bolt or offset bolt bracket. Spectre sells the s bolt or the offset bracket is standard on factory Dakota airhats

2001 Ram 1500 QCSB, 2" HBS level 285/70/17 Toyo OpenCountry AT2s, M1 2bbl, F&B 52x55mm TB, Pacesetter Longtube headers, 18" Magnaflow, M1 91 Octane canned tune by FlyinRyan, remote start, HS 1.7 RRs, Custom RetroFit 6500K HID, Soon to be boosted...
dapepper9 is offline   Reply With Quote