Cold running dodge!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Homerjayswim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
Hello all, I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.2 and I'm having trouble getting it to run at its normal temp (195*). I have flushed the system and replaced the thermostat 3 times. The coolant level is right where it should be and the upper radiator hose is hot as it should be. My next step is to replace the coolant temp sensor, but my manual is telling me its right next to the thermostat housing by the A/C compressor.......it's not. Does anyone know where it is along with the coolant temp sender? Any help would be great!! Thanks all.

OP
OP
H

Homerjayswim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
Thanks for your reply. I am running an O'Reillys brand 195 degree thermostat. Any ideas??

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try dropping down to a 180 t stat. I did that seeing as I had a stock 195 in mine and it seems to run much smoother. If you find where the coolant temp sensor is please let me know I would like to change mine as well. I have yet to search for it though since I'm not in a huge hurry.

TexasCornBread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Are your sure the thermostats are not sticking ( open ) I had one in my truck that would stick open . Ill never use another fail safe again in my life . . Try the 180 stat and see what the does

If you can't dodge it RAM it !

OP
OP
H

Homerjayswim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
Unfortunately I have replaced the thermostat 3 times and 1 of them was a 180* thermo. And when I hold the upper radiator hose I can feel when the thermostat opens, but I can't tell if it ever closes. It's not impossible, but its hard to believe that I have bought 3 bad thermos.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is your cooling fan doing during all of this? Could be a fan clutch that is stuck engaged. How warm does it get right now (what does the gauge say)?

OP
OP
H

Homerjayswim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
Fan clutch isn't stuck, cause the fan speed will change accordingly. The gauge is stuck at 165 to 170. I am stuck.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only thing I can think of is try to find a second source for reading the temperature.

OP
OP
H

Homerjayswim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
I recently found put they changed the location of the coolant sensor post 1998. I don't know where yet, but I'll find it damnit!!

OP
OP
H

Homerjayswim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
Found it. It's underneath the alternator. Post 1998 5.2 liter engines only have 1 coolant sensor. Pre 1998 trucks have 2 sensors.

dan_sk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 ram
Engine
Hemi 5.8
What is your cooling fan doing during all of this? Could be a fan clutch that is stuck engaged. How warm does it get right now (what does the gauge say)?

My friends truck is having an issue reaching the proper temperature as well (it's about a third of the way) we tried pinching off the upper rad hose but it didn't seem to make the temperature rise. The fan is constantly running though, even from a cold start, could this be a stuck fan clutch? Or another issue?

Richard stuckey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently found put they changed the location of the coolant sensor post 1998. I don't know where yet, but I'll find it damnit!!

... Hey bud I know where it is located took me a minute to find it also it's behind the alternator between the intake and valve cover behind alternator