Column to Floor Shifter Conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
Ok, so I posted this in the Engine and Performance section because my question relates more to the transmission than the DIY interior work involved to make this happen.

So long story short, I'm in the process of planning out a custom center console for my truck, and I happened across this YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/wM0oS7VImRs

...and I fell IN LOVE with his console shifter! He sourced it from a Dodge Nitro, which apparently has a similar transmission to our trucks. The guy in the video says it was a simple matter of rerouting the shift cable to the new shifter, but I'm wondering if it's more complicated than that. I know some trucks require the brake to be pressed to cranked, but mine doesn't. My truck will also start in neutral. I was wondering if any of these switches mattered, or if it was simply useless safety devices than can be bypassed.

Also, how is the indicator on the dash controlled? I think its just a cable that could either be extended to the new console or eliminated altogether since the new shifter appears to have a built in indicator.

Any input on this?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
We have mechanical shift linkages, not a cable. You should be able to convert it but its gonna be custom fab work. As far as the indicator, I think its cable driven, but i'm not sure on that.

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
We have mechanical shift linkages, not a cable. You should be able to convert it but its gonna be custom fab work. As far as the indicator, I think its cable driven, but i'm not sure on that.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the guy in the video used the cable to control the mechanical linkage. Don't ask how he did it. I'm gonna try and get in touch with the guy to see if I can learn any more about his mod. I personally think it's really cool, but that may be because I'm a guy that prefers floor shifters over column. Column shifters make me think I'm in some grandma's car :roflsquared:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Cable actuators are very common among the Dakota and Cummins race guys. Full manual valvebodies too

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The indicator is controlled by a tiny cable which is hooked on to a hanger thingy on the shifter. I found this out when I pulled my gauge cluster back when I was battling with my "No Bus" problem. When I put the cluster back in, no matter what I did, the indicator was for some reason one spot off. So if I was in park, the indicator was in reverse. When I was in reverse, the indicator was in neutral. It irritated me, but the guys at the tranny shop fixed it when I had the truck in for a fluid change.

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
The indicator is controlled by a tiny cable which is hooked on to a hanger thingy on the shifter. I found this out when I pulled my gauge cluster back when I was battling with my "No Bus" problem. When I put the cluster back in, no matter what I did, the indicator was for some reason one spot off. So if I was in park, the indicator was in reverse. When I was in reverse, the indicator was in neutral. It irritated me, but the guys at the tranny shop fixed it when I had the truck in for a fluid change.

Thanks for that information. I sent the guy that made the video a private message through YouTube, but he hasn't replied. I'm really intrigued by this mod...